Urch Forums

Accepted to write FPGEE with 4 year BPharm after 2003 + 1 pre-U

vvfong

Hi everyone,

I'd share my case. I graduated from Malaysia after 2003 with a Bachelor of Pharmacy and ECE says I have a 1 year equivalence of pre-pharmacy coursework.

So I was accepted to write FPGEE in April/October 2009.

As I've read in the previous thread, some were not issued a FPGEC eventhough they passed FPGEE and TOEFL iBT.

I thought as long as NABP accepts you to write FPGEE, means you've fullfilled the requirements eventhough its a 4-year degree after 2003.

Is there anyone who has similar qualifications like me but was issued a FPGEC? Its getting me worried.

Thanks.:grad:

Hi!

I feel very glad and relieved to see your case!! :)

If you read through my previous posts and threads, I pretty much asked the same question over and over regarding my case due to uncertainty.

This is the situation that I am facing:

The thing is, it is known that Australia, the country itself has a 4 year pharmacy degree (the general norm). So I wasn't really sure whether I was eligible for FPGEE or not, even though I had to(due to personal circumstances) take at least 1 year university in the US before transferring to my current Aussie pharm school. In other words, I wasn't sure if the COUNTRY ITSELF as a whole also had to have a 5 year degree.

I would like to ask some Qs about your situation:

1. Does Malaysia itself offer 4 year pharm degrees to all students? And is admission to pharm school straight after high school?

2. What subjects did you take during the 1 year pre-university?

3. Did your pharmacy school require you to take that pre-uni before admission to pharm school?

Hi there,

1 & 3. Yes, Malaysia ONLY offers 4-year pharm degree in all universities and colleges. However, it requires A-level or a 2 year pre-U in government schools prior to admission. They do not accept students straight after high school.

2. During the pre-U, we study biology, chemistry, maths for 2 years.

In opinion, for those who did 4 year-degree after 2003 and also a 1 year pre-University prior to admission into pharmacy school, pls try to apply to ECE and NABP.

Do not give up! Previously i wanted to give up because mine is not a 5-year degree but fortunately i was accepted by NABP! :)

No harm trying my dear fellow foreign pharmacy graduates!

• 2 weeks later...

Hii VVFONG ,

Nice to see your thread here, mine has the same story. So I want to share something with you and give your best answers if you can. My profile is as under:

I have 4 year pharmacy undergraduate coursework from India and i am not eligible to sit for FPGEE. My degree is equivalent to BS in pharmaceutical science degree of USA . Morever, I have few questions :

1. What is the ECE report states in your case ? I am confused regarding that

statement like " I have a 1 year equivalence of pre-pharmacy coursework"

what is that means ?

2. Because the NABP rules states clearly that any foreign pharmacist need 5

year pharmacy undergraduate curriculam to go for FPGEE . and i think you

studied 4 year of pharmacy right ? means after 12th grade as per US

schooling system .

3. What is A-level , 1 year pre university , 2 year pre university in Malaysia ?

4. how you contacted the Dean of Ohio to sit for FPGEE exam ? you cleard

your doubt about the FPGEC certification with NABP, because the FPGEC

certification is the important step to get licence in USA.

Thanks and your response is appreciated .

dear jigneshpatel,

To answer your questions:

1. my ECE says I have a US equivalent of Bachelor of Pharmacy degree.

2 & 3. Back in Malaysia, 12th grade in US is equivalent to our high school. After high school, we cannot enroll into a Pharmacy degree, we need a Pre-University foundation (also called Pre-pharmacy coursework in US). My Pre-university foundation is a 2 years program (however, ECE says my 2 years is equivalent to US 1 year of pre-pharmacy). So 1 year pre-pharm + 4 years bachelor of pharmacy degree = 5 years.

4. I did not contact the Dean of Ohio. I applied to NABP from Malaysia. I sent in my application to NABP and received the acceptance letter in 3 weeks. But make sure all your documents are complete and notarized. I spent lots of money in notary public services. But it paid off.

Have you submitted your FPGEE application to NABP?

All the best to you!

@ VVFONG

First of all thanks for your kind reply. I got some solutions from your answers. You are really appreciated. And I evaluated my transcript with evaluation services and it says my indian degree is quivalent to USA BS in pharmaceutical Science.

I still have some questions.

1. Your eduation system is . High school + 2 year Pre Pharmacy + 4 Year bachlors in pharmacy ? thats what i understood from your answer , is it correct ? Total is 18 years from where you started ur study ... rt ?

2. And have you applied for NABP to get FPGEC certification ?

Thank you so much for your interest and reply .

Thanking you,

Jignesh .

@ VVFONG

First of all thanks for your kind reply. I got some solutions from your answers. You are really appreciated. And I evaluated my transcript with evaluation services and it says my indian degree is quivalent to USA BS in pharmaceutical Science.

I still have some questions.

1. Your eduation system is . High school + 2 year Pre Pharmacy + 4 Year bachlors in pharmacy ? thats what i understood from your answer , is it correct ? Total is 18 years from where you started ur study ... rt ?

2. And have you applied for NABP to get FPGEC certification ?

Thank you so much for your interest and reply .

Thanking you,

Jignesh .

Jignesh,

1. You are right.

2. Yes, I've applied to NABP to write FPGEE. I'm taking the October 2009 test. And I'll be sitting for TOEFL in March. Once I've passed FPGEE and TOEFL, then only i can apply for FPGEC certification.

Regards,

Vivian

Aussiepharmer,

In my pre-pharmacy, i took Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and general studies.

In my first year of pharmacy undergrad, we started learning statistics, organic chemistry, public health etc.

But ECE reported my degree equivalent to US degree of Bachelor of Pharmacy.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Keffaz for your reply. The reply I got from ECE is that I have the US equivalent of:

-Associate of Applied Science degree,

-Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Pharmaceutica Sciences and

-Bachelor of Pharmacy degree.

I am confused with BPharma and PharmD if they are equivalent.

How long did it take for the NABP to reply you with the answer once they got your ECE report?

it took me about 6 weeks but that's because I had a deficiency in my documents. I know that an equivalent of Bachelor of Pharmacy is good. I'm not sure about the rest though. But I'm pretty sure it'll be ok. Don't worry it'll be fine hopefully. Good luck! :)

I still haven't heard from NABP. It takes about 5 days to get the post and the deadline to register for the exam is 5th of April. If I don't hear from them by Monday, I won't be able to sit the April Exam. I may not even do the Sep exam if I don't meet the eligibility requirements ... what a mess. Looking at the positive side I was not prepared 100%. Maybe 50% :)

• Registration with NABP will open on November 9, 2009, and must be completed by April 5, 2010

No post and when I called them they said it's still in the process. I learned not to take their word when they say ''you should hear from us in 2 weeks time". Like someone said "every decision is case by case" I stop studying for now and back to work. A bit relife. I'll be doing the Tofel soon. Thanks An12345

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i have nowhere to find i'm eligible for FPGEE ,coz reading all these posts ,made me understand mine is the similar but somewhat worst case.I finished my 4 degree in INDIA in one

unapproved pharmacy college (bangalore university,india)in year 2000.Even after 10 years they didn't get approval or PCI registration for our batch.i'm in USA right now .And i want to write FPGEE.

1.i dont have pharmacy regeistration infact whole classmates dont have .

2.i just have 4 yr degree in pharmacy

is it worth trying for evaluation???PLease advice me soon as this getting me NUTS!!!