Urch Forums

Ask FutureWorks Consulting-Undergraduate and Post Graduate

Hello,

My name is Kavita Singh.Since 2003, I have been helping students to get admission to top colleges at both undergraduate and post graduate level.

In addition to admission consulting, I also hold workshops at leading schools and colleges in India and write regularly on the topic of studying abroad for a variety of publications including The Hindustan Times.

I would be happy to answer any of your questions on the admissions process and your specific applications.

I look forward to hearing from all of you and answering your questions.

Thanks,

Kavita Singh

http://www.futureworks.co.in

http://www.facebook.com/FutureWorksConsulting

http://twitter.com/#!/futureworks_c

Edited by FutureWorks

• 2 weeks later...

Before embarking upon the process of looking and selecting an Admissions Consultant from range of options, we’d like to present you with few tips to help you make your own decision when choosing admissions consultant:

First of all you need to think whether you need an admissions consultant or not?If you have an excellent academic record and an exceptional track record beyond academics you may not need an admissions consultant.However if you have some weaknesses, then an admissions consultant can help you to neutralize these weaknesses before you apply or address your weaknesses in your application.

A consultant can help you to develop positioning(how can you differentiate yourself from others?) and then help you develop the best way to articulate this positioning.

Next, you need to think about how to go about selecting a consultant.Keep the below mentioned points in mind:

1)Compile a list of all the consultants you may want to work with. A good way to compile this list is to talk to friends and family, recent applicants and to go online and do your research.

2)Once you have a good list, narrow down to a select few based on the following criteria:

a) Academic background of the consultant: Have they been to a leading university themselves?

b) Admissions Consulting Experience: How much and what type of experience do they have? Have they been an interviewer for their university? Have they worked in an admissions office at a leading university? What type of clients have they worked with?

c)Admission Consultant Work Experience beyond: Are they a branding or marketing expert who can help you position yourself? Have they worked in countries or industries you want to work in?

d)Are they a university agent or an admissions consultant?: There is a key difference between the two and it’s important to know that. A university agent is representing the university and getting paid by them – so if you know you want to go to that university or the set of universities that agent represents it makes sense to go to the agent. Leading schools generally do not have agents – why is that? Because universities such as an Oxford, Harvard, Stanford, don’t need to ’sell’ themselves – their brands are so strong that the acceptance rates are between 8%-15%

e)Services offered: Do they provide you customized services? Is there a robust process that they follow? Is it an extensive process or just an editing service?

f)Consultation fees: Cheaper isn’t always better! If they are too cheap they are probably not offering an extensive service. I have heard of a company that says they have consultants from Ivy League Schools and charge Rs. 15,000 (USD 300) for applications to 4 schools. Now if you assume that this would take 20 hours of the consultant’s times (usually its a lot more) then this mean the ‘Ivy league’ consultant is charging USD 15 per hour – the same rate you can get stamping books at your graduate school library in the US!

3)Meet the consultants you are considering and make sure you feel comfortable working with them.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Kavita Singh

FutureWorks Consulting

Edited by FutureWorks

• 2 weeks later...

Low Undergrad GPA wanting to get Phd in Finance

This is my first post on this site. I've read a bunch of other posts, but was hoping someone could speak to my specific situation. I am hoping to get into a decent (top 50) finance Phd program. However, my undergraduate GPA is not very good. Here is what my profile looks like

Query Asked :

Undergraduate in Economics from BYU, 3.14 GPA

MS Finance from University of Utah, 3.86 GPA

GMAT: 750, but quant was only 48. I am sure I could do better (only studied about 20 hours the week leading up to the test)

Assuming I could get good LOR, etc, do I have a chance at a decent school or will my application get thrown out as soon as they seen my undergrad GPA?

Also, do people think it is worth studying a bunch for the GMAT to get a 50 on the quant section?

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Our Reply:

Hello,

Yes it is definitely worth improving your quant score to ensure you make it to the desired institutes. It would be great if you could highlight any finance related project or research that you might have undertaken to improve your chances.

Thanks,

Kavita Singh

FutureWorks Consulting