Urch Forums

Manhattan Vs Veritas

mnarasim

Does anyone know which one is better - Manhattan or Veritas.

I am not sure if I should just buy the MGMAT study material and practice myself or maybe sign up with Veritas..

I know that Veritas provides almost 17 Practice tests..

Is private tutoring from either worth the money...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

I am attending the Manhattan virtual course currently. done with about half the course and its really good!! Very effective, and forces you to spend time each week doing the homework. The instructors are pretty good + as somebody mentioned, the material is awesome!

And I believe you could get a $100 discount on their virtual course if you tell them an old student referred you. If somebody needs it, you could ping me and i'll be happy to do it. bfore you start pointing fingers...the referrer just gets a worthless awa book :)... :tup:

• 1 year later...
I think the experience you'll have with Manhattan or Veritas will vary greatly depending on your instructor. I agree with the person who said you should go sit in on the first class of any course (you should be able to do this for free). Also, look on the Veritas website to get a list of "instructors of the year" from previous years. Scoring in the 99th percentile doesn't guarantee that someone will be a good teacher, but Veritas does have some excellent instructors. Also, consider private tutoring with one of the better instructors. Generally, I don't think the weekend or intensive classes will be as valuable as the full courses will be, and I think that if you are someone who is either very smart or is very rusty on the GMAT topics that you'd fare better with private tutoring than with the full course. The online courses aren't a good match for everyone, BUT Veritas is generally using some of their top instructors to teach those, so it is a way to get the best in terms of knowledge and teaching style instead of being limited by who is available in your geographical area. Also, they are now offering online private tutoring packages (again, using some of their top instructors). I could mention some of the best by name, but I think you can find them if you look on the Veritas website.

Also, I agree that the Manhattan Sentence Correction book is a good one. I'd just buy that one a la carte no matter what course you're going to take. Veritas has a great Number Properties booklet but it's only available if you take the course, I think.

I took the Veritas prep course over a two week period and enjoyed it. They have the on demand lecture ability that is available for about 3-6 months and you can go back and listen to all the lectures again which was very beneficial for me. I haven't written the exam yet but I did enjoy going through the material.

• 3 weeks later...

Veritas material is 500 level, And the course sucks, its waste of $1500, I took it and its not good at all. Instructors are not good, they are not 99% at all. The course I took, instructor was not even aware how the CAT works...

wasted my valuable time...I could have done by studying myself.

my 2 cents.

I just wanted to reiterate that it all comes down to the instructor (as I think you've really seen several people say here, in different ways).

1) Maybe it would be useful for people on this thread to say which instructor they had when they comment either positively or negatively - that might help others who are trying to avoid the bad ones and get the good ones

2) When you sign up for the course, ask questions about the instructor. How long has the instructor been teaching this course ? That's not a perfect measure, but is a good first question. In this business, I'd say 6-9 months is short term and the instructor MAY not have the kinks out yet or may not have gotten enough consistently bad reviews yet to be weeded out. Someone who's been teaching that particular course for 3+ years has certainly gotten the kinks out and is likely still around because he/she is really good, gets good student reviews, and is passionate about teaching the course. Not necessarily, but more likely. Tell the person you are talking to that the instructor is very important to you and that you want one of the best ones. Push to find out if one of the best ones is going to be teaching the course and ask, if not, what you can do to get one of the best ones. There usually ARE options. Maybe a different instructor is teaching a weekend course vs. the longer course. Or you can get one of the top instructors through the online tutoring or online virtual course if one just isn't available in your area.

By the way, these aren't the ONLY good Veritas instructors, but here is a list of particularly good ones to get you started in your quest. If you want one of these and none is in your geographical area, ask about virtual tutoring or a virtual class with one of the top instructors. Any of the instructors below would do a fantastic job of prepping you for your test!

From their website:

All Veritas GMAT students are required to submit detailed instructor evaluations. Based on the evaluations and other factors, including innovative course development, we confer the prestigious Veritas GMAT Instructor of the Year™ award. Winners embody the loftiest Veritas standards, providing the ultimate GMAT preparation for their appreciative students.

• 2007 - Amit Kakkad and Laura Cook
  • 2006 - Valerie Browning and Ken Kleinfeld
  • 2005 - David Chambers and Megan Kucik
  • 2004 - Chris Kane and Kevin Richardson
  • 2003 - Cliff Smith
  • 2002 - Andrew Hense

Hi

Believe me , If you take Veritas you will regret. GMATfun go and market elsewhere.

Look at this link for more info when I did initial research and joined veritas. It was the biggest mistake I ever did in my GMAT prep. The practice exams are joke. They are no way comparable to real or other gmat prep exam. And they count 2 gmat prep exams from mba.com as part of their 15 exams.

Instructors of veritas: They are below average and donot have proper experience. Most of them do not know any strategy in Verbal. Huge waste.

The questions in the material are stolen from OG10 and OG11 and hoch poch explanation. well don't waste $1500 rather use it smartly.

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/gmat/73995-veritasprep-kaplan-princeton-reivew.html

thanks

V-

It's too bad you had a bad experience. I am not trying to market anything, just trying to help people have a GOOD experience by wisely selecting the best course for them and the best instructor.

In that effort, I'd like to say that I agree with you in terms of the practice tests. Not all practice tests are created equal and not all 15 are equally useful. I think the ones from mba.com are the best you can get and those are free! Those are the best to use no matter which course you take or if you just study on your own or if you just do a small amount of private tutoring. But truthfully, I think anyone who uses 15 practice tests in studying is not studying correctly. I'd recommend taking between 4-8 practice tests, probably, and you can use the official ones from MBA.com for most of those (just uninstall and reinstall), so you don't need the 15.

Also, in terms of the questions, the OG has great questions and both Veritas and Manhattan (and other companies) use those questions. Manhattan solely uses those questions, while Veritas includes questions also taken from GRE and LSAT exams. So in trying to choose between Manhattan and Veritas, the existence of questions taken from the OGs isn't a deciding factor. Maybe what you're trying to say is don't take a course at all but just use the OG and download the free tests and study on your own. That is a great plan for some people. That's how I did it, and it worked great for me. It's not for everyone, though. Some people need more structure.

I'm not saying whether to choose Manhattan or Veritas. Just trying to point out some of the similarities and differences and the fact that WITH EITHER COMPANY, please be proactive going in and make sure you get a good instructor.

Here folks, Some more info you must know, How WORST is VERITAS

Below is the link from some of the dedicated gmat preparations. Its worth going thru the whole thread, And make sure you read the VERITAS story. How bad it is. DONOT WASTE MONEY AND TIME ON VERITAS. And

GMAtfun you must know this too and if you work for this company, Please go and tell them to shutdown the VERITAS GMAT SCAM. FALSIFYING THE CLAIMS OF 99% percentile for instructors. BETTER POST ALL THE GMAT SCORE REPORTS OF YOUR INSTRUCTORS SHOWING 99%...WHY SHOULDN't YOU DO THAT IF YOU CLAIM!!

[720 Q49 V40] My Blog: Errors and lessons learned - Page 5

• 7 months later...

This is a complete joke. Veritas has repeatedly proven Manhattan GMAT's claims to be false. Take a look at Veritas's site to see what I mean:

How does Veritas Prep compare with Manhattan GMAT?

Here folks, Some more info you must know, How WORST is VERITAS

Below is the link from some of the dedicated gmat preparations. Its worth going thru the whole thread, And make sure you read the VERITAS story. How bad it is. DONOT WASTE MONEY AND TIME ON VERITAS. And

GMAtfun you must know this too and if you work for this company, Please go and tell them to shutdown the VERITAS GMAT SCAM. FALSIFYING THE CLAIMS OF 99% percentile for instructors. BETTER POST ALL THE GMAT SCORE REPORTS OF YOUR INSTRUCTORS SHOWING 99%...WHY SHOULDN't YOU DO THAT IF YOU CLAIM!!

Both test companies make a fortune of test takers. I read an article that testing companies make more than the ETSC, the company that administers the test. That said, I think that the MGMAT is the best gmat course. I still think its overpriced and that self study will save you a ton. But if you have to take a course go with MGMAT.

_ _ _ _ SIG _ _ _ _

Visit my blog 800 gmat

• 1 month later...

:2cents:Apparently, this chap GMATFUN is a Veritas operative shilling for Veritas. I took Veritas Prep and it sucks..They 'arm you' with all the crap published by companies like arco, 800score.com, (no originality), and want you to be the guineapig for evaluating their unqualified teachers. i read somewhere that Ken Kleinfeld who teaches the course at Tysons corner VA has not even taken the GMAT, by his own admission.

Having said that, MGMAT is no angel. They use the OG that is not even close to the actual test. Both Veritas and MGMAT fraudulently claim that their instructors are all 99th percentile (in blowing??????????????). Avoid both these scam companies. Do your due-diligence, folks. Veritas Prep and MGMAT make suckers out of you.:2cents:

It's too bad you had a bad experience. I am not trying to market anything, just trying to help people have a GOOD experience by wisely selecting the best course for them and the best instructor.

In that effort, I'd like to say that I agree with you in terms of the practice tests. Not all practice tests are created equal and not all 15 are equally useful. I think the ones from mba.com are the best you can get and those are free! Those are the best to use no matter which course you take or if you just study on your own or if you just do a small amount of private tutoring. But truthfully, I think anyone who uses 15 practice tests in studying is not studying correctly. I'd recommend taking between 4-8 practice tests, probably, and you can use the official ones from MBA.com for most of those (just uninstall and reinstall), so you don't need the 15.

Also, in terms of the questions, the OG has great questions and both Veritas and Manhattan (and other companies) use those questions. Manhattan solely uses those questions, while Veritas includes questions also taken from GRE and LSAT exams. So in trying to choose between Manhattan and Veritas, the existence of questions taken from the OGs isn't a deciding factor. Maybe what you're trying to say is don't take a course at all but just use the OG and download the free tests and study on your own. That is a great plan for some people. That's how I did it, and it worked great for me. It's not for everyone, though. Some people need more structure.

I'm not saying whether to choose Manhattan or Veritas. Just trying to point out some of the similarities and differences and the fact that WITH EITHER COMPANY, please be proactive going in and make sure you get a good instructor.

Hello,

I work for Veritas Prep. Can you please reply to this message with where exactly you read that Ken never took the GMAT? I know for a fact that this is incorrect, and if that misconception is out there, I would like to correct it.

Thank you,

VeritasPrep

i read somewhere that Ken Kleinfeld who teaches the course at Tysons corner VA has not even taken the GMAT, by his own admission.

Veritas Prep - Elite GMAT Prep and Admissions Consulting