Urch Forums

Low GRE scores

az_zulu

:(I just took the GRE in December and also this past week. My scores are quite embarassing. In December I received the following scores: Q: 360, V: 310. Writing: 4. I studied for a month and retook it this past week and the results were even worse: Q: 290, V:410. I was getting a 510 on Q and a 410 on V when I completed practice tests so I'm not sure what happened. I started to get a bit nauseous during the last section this time around, which was the quantitative section, so I don't know if that had something to do with my horrific score.

I'm applying to Masters programs in SLP for this fall. One school doesn't require the GRE's which is great but it's not my top choice. I've always struggled with these types of standardized tests (i.e. couldn't break a 1000 on the SAT) and so I'm thinking I should definitely write an addendum on my applications. Those schools that require the GRE are looking for a score of a 1000 or more combined.

Some background academic history on me:

Bucknell University - GPA: 3.31, Degrees in Psychology and Spanish and followed the Pre-med track

Tufts University - GPA: 3.78, Masters in Child Development

I should also add that I took the GRE 5 years ago (so the scores have since expired). My scores were 550 Q, 410 V and 4 on Writing. I'm thinking I will attach a copy of these old scores to the addendum I write up. What do you think?

I'm currently working as a project manager in an Autism Research center, managing my own project. I also have previous work experience abroad working with kids on the spectrum. My boss is a renowned expert in the field and has offered to talk to a faculty member at my number one choice which I hope will help considering my current situation. I haven't told her my exact scores because they are just too embaressing.

Please send me any thoughts or comments you have. They will be greatly appreciated!

First off, you're an intelligent person, az_zulu, and you don't need a silly standardized exam to tell you that.

Secondly, don't be so discouraged. I know coming into these boards and seeing these absurd (imo) astronomically high scores might give you the impression of one of two things: that this test is either incredibly simple, or that the people here are abnormally intelligent. But the truth is--the GRE exam is a type of exam that not everyone can easily score well in, and low scores can happen to even the smartest and most experienced of scholars.

the best advice I can give you is that, ultimately, only you know whether it's feasible to take the test again and significantly improve your score. You've taken the test twice, and twice you've performed poorly. First off, I see that you waited a much too short interval to retake the exam. I think most people who retake the exam and score at least marginally better the second time around take a couple-months break to study the material more thoroughly so that they can be better prepared.

Besides that, what measures did you take to study? What resources did you use? Do you think you studied sufficiently? Approximately what time frame did you devote before the exam (especially the first one) to study? All those are factors that can significantly impact your score.

I'm not a good test taker myself (took the GRE last March and scored a paltry 990--da*n quant, grrr) but I do know, thanks in large part to reading personal testimonials from posters on different forums, that getting a high GRE score IS possible and do-able, and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to achieve it. Most of the problems that arise while taking the test are due to the psyche, not poor memory retention, intelligence, etc. In other words, squash that nasty test anxiety! :p I know I've studied the pants off this exam. I'm ready, and I'm going to march into my exam cubicle next month and retake the GRE, and I KNOW I'm going to do better--much better. Perhaps you should do the same az_zulu. :)

:)Fritzworthy...I have to say, you're words brightened up my night...considering the last two gloomy days I've had since taking the test.

I studied using a Kaplan vocab flashcard book. The book has about 500 words. I memorized about 350 in a month but maybe one appeared on the exam. I completed practice tests in all sections using the GRE powerprep software.

Unfortunately, my applications are due this month and early next month so there is no time to retake the exam before the deadlines. I'm still going to apply and cross my fingers that I at least get into the school that does not require the GRE.

Why I received these scores does not make sense to me. I felt very good about the first math section that I completed and the same about the verbal section. My last section of the test was a second math section. By the 3rd hour I was fading a bit and did not feel as sharp as I did when taking the first math section. Was I answering at random? Not necessarily, but I did find myself guessing more than usual. I appreciate your comments but as for your last comment, who really cares about GRE scores anyway once you are in the real world?

I would also like to add that I am bilingual and grew up in a bilingual household. Since my first attempt at standardized tests (i.e. the SAT) I've always thought that maybe this played a part in this. I'm looking into getting tested with a neuropsych because it may be the case that I need more time on this type of test. I often find myself out of time and only halfway or maybe three quarters of the way through the exam. A friend of mine received double the time to take the exam due to a learning disability. She needs more time to process questions of this type under time constraints.

Well enough about me---I wish you all the best next time you take the test. You have such a positive attitude I know you'll do great! Thank you so much.

Of course, the reason these GRE scores exist in the first place is to supposedly predict how one will do in graduate school. Since you have already been to graduate school with an excellent performance record, there is less need for concern. That's why I would be optimistic, and, yes, I would include your old scores from over 5 years ago. The reason I would be pessimistic would be that your scores would lower the average GRE score for that department, which would be bad only if USNews regularly publishes statistics for that graduate department at that school.

I know there are about 7 grad schools in the US that don't require GRE. Do some research on those. My friend was in the same boat as you last year, az. She was a political science major with a 4.0 gpa, excellent record, resume, etc, yet took the GRE twice and couldn't manage to score past 850 combined (of course, I know she didn't devote herself to studying as much as she should have).

She ended up being accepted (with a full scholarship) to Eastern Illinois University. She says it's an excellent school with above par academic programs. Perhaps you could look into that one?

As CalmLogic said, you already have an excellent record and history of adequate experience. I'm sure any non-GRE requiring grad school that you apply to would accept you in a heartbeat.

She ended up being accepted (with a full scholarship) to Eastern Illinois University.

That brings up another point: going to a school that is not one's top choice often makes it easier to get funding in the form of scholarships/fellowships and TA/RA positions since the graduate students there may have less superstellar backgrounds, making it easier to compete for a relatively small number of stipends.

• 1 month later...