Urch Forums

Trying to pursue MS/Phd (engineering) from Stanford

ahmedatnet

Hi,

I have got 1230 score in GRE(800 -Quant, 430 -Verbal). I want to do MS/Phd in CS/electrical (preferably from Stanford). Can I get scholarships with this score & if no,which universities can I choose?

I have done B tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering(with CGPA aroung 5(out of 5)) & have more than 3 years of rich work experience in network security(Huawei Technologies) & storage networking(Netapp).

I am ready to opt for PhD(top 10 Universities) if scholarship is granted. I want to pursue higher education in computer networking.

Please help me decide on the same.

Thanks & Regards,

Fahad

• 2 weeks later...
For admission, your score is probably fine, but for scholarships, you definitely need higher scores. I can't speak for Stanford because I went to Berkeley, but from my experience, 1230 won't get you scholarships. There are few really good preparation guide that can help you with Verbal. You can try Princeton Review or Dranb.

Stanford, at least with EE PhD, tends to admit A LOT of people with no funding, but with the possibility of funding in the future. They then give absolutely hellish exams in the first year to weed people out. Many of those that survive then get funding. I know this because I applied to Stanford for EE 4 years ago, got in, and then talked to other people that also got in. So I guess the answer for Stanford is if you get in and survive that first year, then I doubt your GRE score will matter one way or the other.

• 1 month later...