Urch Forums

MSC ECON and MPP

mahales

which countries are you talking about? In the UK obvious choice is LSE (London school of economics)) but not sure about the funding. In the US, there are big range.. i would say top three are U of Chicago, Wharton @u of Penn, Columbia Univ.

I disagree...if MPP stands for master's of public policy, I'd say Harvard, MIT, Berkeley and Stanford are all better than Chicago, Penn and Columbia. I'd even look at Princeton. Penn is pretty good in everything from the little research I've done on it, but I've heard that Columbia's econ department isn't as good as it's policy-oriented degree programs. Chicago is all economics, and if you're going for grad school to any of those places, you're obviously pursuing a PhD, which (at Chicago anyway) isn't going to leave any time for an MPP.

Good luck!

I disagree...if MPP stands for master's of public policy, I'd say Harvard, MIT, Berkeley and Stanford are all better than Chicago, Penn and Columbia. I'd even look at Princeton. Penn is pretty good in everything from the little research I've done on it, but I've heard that Columbia's econ department isn't as good as it's policy-oriented degree programs. Chicago is all economics, and if you're going for grad school to any of those places, you're obviously pursuing a PhD, which (at Chicago anyway) isn't going to leave any time for an MPP.

Good luck!

Not correct with regards to MPP programs. Stanford doesn't even offer a stand-alone master's in public policy or economics. I don't believe that Penn has an MPP either. MIT does not have an MPP program or a master's degree in economics, though it does have a very highly regarded master's program in urban planning. Berkeley does have a good MPP program, especially for people interested in domestic policy. However, the most highly regarded master's in public policy programs are the Kennedy School (Harvard) and the Woodrow Wilson School (Princeton). Other strong programs are SAIS (Johns Hopkins; international relations only), Harris School (Chicago; stronger in domestic than international), SIPA (Columbia; international), Georgetown, and the Ford School (Michigan; stronger in domestic).