Urch Forums

Got into UIUC's CS PhD program

bansh33

Waiting for replies from: UPenn, UChicago, SUNYSB, NYU, JHU, UNC-CH, CUNY, Rice, Dartmouth

Admitted: UIUC

anyone know if any of the other schools have started sending out decisions yet? any idea how soon they may be doing so?

anyhow, I'm pretty excited about UIUC as I know it's CS department is ranked very highly.

• 2 weeks later...
Waiting for replies from: UPenn, UChicago, SUNYSB, NYU, JHU, UNC-CH, CUNY, Rice, Dartmouth

Admitted: UIUC

anyone know if any of the other schools have started sending out decisions yet? any idea how soon they may be doing so?

anyhow, I'm pretty excited about UIUC as I know it's CS department is ranked very highly.

Congrats. I'm awaiting their call. Applied to M.S. ECE.

to the person who asked for my stats:

- BSE and MSE from UPenn in CIS (computer & information sci), both in 2006 (I did their submatriculation program so was allowed to take master's classes while still an undergrad, and ended up finishing both in 4 years). GPA: 3.8 (grad) / 3.5 (undergrad)

- GRE: 600V / 720Q / 5.5 AW

- successful track record of tech entrepreneurship: started a software company shortly after graduation which received ~$3 million in VC funding, sold the company in 2009, currently working on a new startup, started and sold 2 other companies in high school and college (between 2000 and 2004 - sold my first company when I was 16). Have received a lot of media attention as a result, including Good Morning America, CNN, MSNBC, Financial Times, BusinessWeek, Entrepreneur Magazine, etc.

- 1 publication

- strong letters of recommendation, 2 from UPenn professors, 1 professional recommender.

I know my gre scores suck and most of my experience isn't research-based, but if someone who knows what they're talking about can evaluate my chances at the other schools I mentioned, I'd appreciate it. The place I'm really hoping for is UPenn - I'm hoping I'll have at least somewhat of an advantage since I have a BSE and MSE from there and because I have strong recommendations from 2 of their professors, but I know it's a very selective school. Regardless, I'd be happy attending UIUC, in fact besides UPenn, I don't know if there's any schools on my list that I'd choose over UIUC... actually, if anyone has any suggestions regarding how I should be prioritizing these schools I'd appreciate it. My interests are complexity, automata theory, and information security.

to the person who asked for my stats:

- BSE and MSE from UPenn in CIS (computer & information sci), both in 2006 (I did their submatriculation program so was allowed to take master's classes while still an undergrad, and ended up finishing both in 4 years). GPA: 3.8 (grad) / 3.5 (undergrad)

- GRE: 600V / 720Q / 5.5 AW

- successful track record of tech entrepreneurship: started a software company shortly after graduation which received ~$3 million in VC funding, sold the company in 2009, currently working on a new startup, started and sold 2 other companies in high school and college (between 2000 and 2004 - sold my first company when I was 16). Have received a lot of media attention as a result, including Good Morning America, CNN, MSNBC, Financial Times, BusinessWeek, Entrepreneur Magazine, etc.

- 1 publication

- strong letters of recommendation, 2 from UPenn professors, 1 professional recommender.

I know my gre scores suck and most of my experience isn't research-based, but if someone who knows what they're talking about can evaluate my chances at the other schools I mentioned, I'd appreciate it. The place I'm really hoping for is UPenn - I'm hoping I'll have at least somewhat of an advantage since I have a BSE and MSE from there and because I have strong recommendations from 2 of their professors, but I know it's a very selective school. Regardless, I'd be happy attending UIUC, in fact besides UPenn, I don't know if there's any schools on my list that I'd choose over UIUC... actually, if anyone has any suggestions regarding how I should be prioritizing these schools I'd appreciate it. My interests are complexity, automata theory, and information security.

@bansh33 : you are a genius !! I think you are the only one with this sort of background. awesome ! keep it up !!

@bansh33 : you are a genius !! I think you are the only one with this sort of background. awesome ! keep it up !!

ramgour, thanks man, I really appreciate that. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get in to my top choice school (UPenn). I haven't heard back yet, but I know they've started sending out decisions and I have yet to hear, so I don't think that bodes well. I'm kinda disappointed - I was really hoping I'd get in, and having already done 2 degrees from there I know I'd be really happy... I'm still hoping for it, but maybe it just wasn't meant to be. oh and there's one another part of my profile that I didn't mention because it's not relevant to computer science, but I guess it is pretty unique - I was a child actor and co-starred in a popular Paramount Pictures film that came out in 1995, and did several tv commercials and guest star appearances on various primetime network television shows (in the US).

oh and silverfox and Mixolydian - congrats on your acceptances!

Edited by bansh33
added some info about my profile

I have applied to U of I for my Phd in CS. Only have a bachelors and NASA is offering me a internship with a possibility for a fellowship as long as I go to grad school also the NREIP(Naval Research something Program) program wants me to work for them as long as they get approval for funding.

Got denied by Carnegie Mellon and University of Washington Seattle

Waiting on: Colorado State University, University of Oregon, University of California Berkeley, University of Texas @ Austin, University of California Irvine, University on California San Diego, and U of I.

Man they are taking for ever.... I am surprised that NASA wants me to intern with them and grad schools are taking for ever to respond. Anyone else hear back from these schools yet?

GRE score: 800 in math, 350 in verbal, 4 in writing. Don't think I have a chance of getting in.

Edited by lotrsimp12345

@bansh33 - thanks a lot for the profile . And you seem to have an awesome background. I don't think there will be any problems in getting whatever university you want. And GRE scores are not the only thing. So all the best :)

well, unfortunately you were wrong. I just got by rejected by Penn, my alma mater, of all ****ing places. It was also my top choice. ****ing hell. At least I still have an admit to UIUC.

I have applied to U of I for my Phd in CS. Only have a bachelors and NASA is offering me a internship with a possibility for a fellowship as long as I go to grad school also the NREIP(Naval Research something Program) program wants me to work for them as long as they get approval for funding.

Got denied by Carnegie Mellon and University of Washington Seattle

Waiting on: Colorado State University, University of Oregon, University of California Berkeley, University of Texas @ Austin, University of California Irvine, University on California San Diego, and U of I.

Man they are taking for ever.... I am surprised that NASA wants me to intern with them and grad schools are taking for ever to respond. Anyone else hear back from these schools yet?

GRE score: 800 in math, 350 in verbal, 4 in writing. Don't think I have a chance of getting in.

hate to tell you but UIUC just had their admitted students visiting weekend for the CS PhD program, so

if you haven't heard, it's probably not good news =(.

anyone know what's up with Rice or NYU's computer science PhD programs? Those are the only 2 schools I'm waiting on at this point that I would consider over UIUC. Otherwise, it's between UIUC and Stonybrook, both of which i know rank very highly. Anyone have any suggestions about which I would be better off attending? I'm interested in complexity theory, automata theory, and logic/formal methods.

oh and btw: I got rejected from Dartmouth and UChicago : (

• 1 month later...
congrats on getting into CS at UIUC. I did my undergrad there in CS. It's a great engineering school but pretty hard. Lots brilliant kids. Your graduate level CS classes will suck as most CS professors cant teach worth a #$#$#. However, that's the way it goes at research-intensive schools. They hire professors who can get funding, not who can teach.