Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Change of program in UPenn ??

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Change of program in UPenn ??

Sponsored Ad:
    I have a BS in Electrical Engineering. I applied to and got into UPenn for MSE(Master of Science in Engineering) in Nanotechnology. The program is interdisciplinary and includes courses from the Electrical, Mechanical, material sciences and Chem & Bio departments and the Wharton school of business.

I'm still excited about the course but I'm told that employment scenario for nanotechnology may be bleak for international students and most jobs require a PhD.
    Also the tuition is pretty steep and I will be borrowing a lot of money to pay for the course so getting a PhD is not an option atleast for sometime. I will need a job to pay back my loans.

The rest of the universities I've got into are not as good as Upenn and cost approximately the same as UPenn.

I will be taking a few courses in the electrical department .

So can anyone tell me if I will be able to switch to the ESE department (for either Telecommunications or Electrical engineering-- both are a part of the ESE dept) after a semester if the job scene for nanotech isnt that great??

Please help me guys I'm losing my mind trying to decided

Good post? Yes | No
    i would probably email the dept head at penn. but since this is graduate, i imagine you will have to put in an application to transfer.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Hello,
    Usually it is not that easy to switch courses in the Universities at the postgraduate level so you might want to do your research and choose your course wisely. Further, we suggest that you contact UPenn to ask them whether switching is a possibility and if so what the criterion for doing so is.
    Although the other options you mentioned like the electrical engineering has just 1% growth in employment as per the US Bureau of Labor statistics. However Biomedical, Environmental and Civil Engineering have the maximum projected growth rate standing at 72%, 31% and 245 respectively. So you might want to check these in case you donít want to go for a PHD and you are eligible and interested in these fields.

Hope this helps!!

If you have any queries you can post on our thread "Ask FutureWorks Consulting"

Thanks,
    Kavita Singh

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    I have a BS in Electrical Engineering. I applied to and got into UPenn for MSE(Master of Science in Engineering) in Nanotechnology. The program is interdisciplinary and includes courses from the Electrical, Mechanical, material sciences and Chem & Bio departments and the Wharton school of business.

I'm still excited about the course but I'm told that employment scenario for nanotechnology may be bleak for international students and most jobs require a PhD.
    Also the tuition is pretty steep and I will be borrowing a lot of money to pay for the course so getting a PhD is not an option atleast for sometime. I will need a job to pay back my loans.

The rest of the universities I've got into are not as good as Upenn and cost approximately the same as UPenn.

I will be taking a few courses in the electrical department .

So can anyone tell me if I will be able to switch to the ESE department (for either Telecommunications or Electrical engineering-- both are a part of the ESE dept) after a semester if the job scene for nanotech isnt that great??

Please help me guys I'm losing my mind trying to decided

Thread Information