Urch Forums

Virginia Tech Preview Weekend

julesp

Hi everyone,

I received an invitation to Virginia Tech's Preview Weekend (Recruiting Programs and Workshops - Virginia Tech Graduate School), which is a tour/meet-and-greet for top minority applicants. Has anyone else received notification of this?

Some questions --

1) The website says "Eligible participants must be U.S. Citizens or permanent residents residing in the U.S. who have applied for admission and have been accepted to Virginia Tech." I haven't received notification that I was accepted. I'm a little confused.

2) There is time set aside for "interviews." I am extreeemely nervous about this, especially if I'm not accepted yet ;). If someone has indeed gone through this and has tips for what is asked/how to prepare, that would be wonderful!

Edited by julesp

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation with U Buffalo.

I've been invited to a "symposium." They keep calling it a "symposium" and I don't know if that's a round about way of conducting an interview. I also haven't been "accepted" but I keep getting congratulated by counselors and my letter writers.

Are you being flown out for the event? I'm getting travel and accomodations covered for my trip which I think is a good sign for me. I don't really know though, I'm just talking out of my backside.

So, I went to this as well over the weekend, and yes, I was accepted. I ended up emailing the coordinator to be sure, and she told me I could expect to be accepted. I was handed my acceptance letter during my interviews.

It ended up being a little intense - I was shuffled around several professors in the department - but most of it was informal. I brought my CV just to give myself a boost (I hadn't prepared as much as I would have liked to).

Yes, I was flown in, and we all felt pretty special. Congrats and ask them if you're feeling unsure and it will drive you crazy, but I'm sure you can also expect to also be admitted!