Urch Forums

GRE Score Q170/V157, where to apply

Rainy

Greetings,

I've recently evaluated a PhD in (Micro)Economics to be one of relatively few likely-to-be-optimal options.

My background: graduated Cambridge math (very mixed grades - they weren't my top priority back at the time); IPhO participant (HM); 1 year of real work experience in management consulting (mostly analytical stuff, optimisation, development of new software to handle larga data streams and then optimise pricing/offers); 1 year of Physics (before doing Math) in a rather random university (top grades).

Made a rushed decision to take GRE a week ago (in order to have a larger set of options and some feedback on where should I improve to score better next time - spent only a few hours preparing) and did get Q170/V157, still waiting for the AW part.

Now, i think it's the first time I am really making a mature decision based on all my prior experience and on what I think would be best and most interesting future prospect. Previously I was only searching for extra experience which would then allow me to make such decision with sufficient certainity. Therefore, I think I am quite motivated and, actually, am not rushing to apply anywhere necessarily this year. I need some advice on how to best plan my following few years in order to optimise my abilities to contribute to the research.

Thank you very much!

You're looking to apply to PhD in Micro Econ?

You should first read the FAQ http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/99553-faqs-about-graduate-school-economics-links-useful-threads.html

then you could if you still had questions post your profile for evaluation (in the econ section) in a new thread with the following format:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Undergrad GPA:

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE:

Math Courses:

Econ Courses (grad-level):

Econ Courses (undergrad-level):

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation:

Research Experience: