Urch Forums

Tufts MS Economics vs LSE MS Economics?

Macrocracked

Hi Everyone,

I have been accepted to both the LSE MS Economics program w/ no funding, and the Tufts MS Economics Program w/ full funding + Teaching Assistant position. My goal is to go on to a top PhD program after an MS. (I attended a good name school with good grades, good recs, and decent GREs, but not enough math or research experience, and so decided to go masters first). I would have to take out a loan for the majority of the LSE program and possibly additional loans to cover London living costs.

Of course the reputation of LSE is far better. My sense when I applied was that Tufts is an emerging program with a relatively recent but generous endowment (confirmed) that is trying to establish its reputation. Forums from 4-5 years ago recommend LSE over Tufts even with a funding difference, but I'm wondering if Tufts has improved its reputation/rigor over time. Does anyone have recent information on the Tufts program, particularly PhD placement of their students?

Any advice appreciated!!

Thanks

Edited by Macrocracked

I'm wondering the same thing. I have been accepted with full funding + TA position at Tufts, but have not heard from LSE yet. While neither program has a very flexible curriculum (in terms of the number of econ or math electives you can take), Tufts has a slight advantage in that you will be taking more courses as a whole (macro I&II, micro I&II, statistics, econometrics and 2 electives). It seems you can even take RA I&II in the math department to satisfy your 2 electives. That will give you strong preparation for PhD programs. LSE only offers a math/statistics refresher (which I'm assuming is not very in-depth) and one elective along with a course each in macro, micro and econometrics. So in my opinion, you will probably get more out of the coursework at Tufts than at LSE. I've heard the professors are excellent and the program is rigorous and challenging.

Now, LSE is certainly more well-known, but without any funding, you may end up going into a ton of debt and then not have the ability to pay it off if you're planning to go into a PhD program soon after. If you decide to spend a year or two working in between, then you should give LSE more consideration, since it might even help you land a pretty decent job. Another point to consider is that if you do really well in the MSc program, you might get a chance to continue in LSE's PhD program, which is easily in the Top 5.

• 5 months later...
It may sound ideological but since your ultimate goal is to go to a top PHD program, I guess I can say this... If I were you, I will definitely go to LSE unless I wanna go specifically after some professors at Tufts who will lead me to a top PHD program.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering the same thing. I have been accepted with full funding + TA position at Tufts, but have not heard from LSE yet. While neither program has a very flexible curriculum (in terms of the number of econ or math electives you can take), Tufts has a slight advantage in that you will be taking more courses as a whole (macro I&II, micro I&II, statistics, econometrics and 2 electives). It seems you can even take RA I&II in the math department to satisfy your 2 electives. That will give you strong preparation for PhD programs. LSE only offers a math/statistics refresher (which I'm assuming is not very in-depth) and one elective along with a course each in macro, micro and econometrics. So in my opinion, you will probably get more out of the coursework at Tufts than at LSE. I've heard the professors are excellent and the program is rigorous and challenging.

Now, LSE is certainly more well-known, but without any funding, you may end up going into a ton of debt and then not have the ability to pay it off if you're planning to go into a PhD program soon after. If you decide to spend a year or two working in between, then you should give LSE more consideration, since it might even help you land a pretty decent job. Another point to consider is that if you do really well in the MSc program, you might get a chance to continue in LSE's PhD program, which is easily in the Top 5.

This is misleading. Courses at LSE last an entire year compared to the semester long courses at Tufts. Typically, there are 2 terms of material for LSE courses, and then, you come back in May for a refresher before exams.