Urch Forums

2015 Saarland Uni vs Tu Munich: Masters in Computer Science

nixor01

Dear Urch people,

I have been admitted to TUM as well as well as Saarland University for MSc in Informatics (CS) for the Summer semester 2015.

I am facing a problem that I don't know which to choose between these two. I understand that this kind of question has been asked before. But I would like to make this post also a reference for the most updated as of 2015. Please kindly help us make the decisions based on reasons and rationality.

Some facts about me:

0.1 I'd like to focus my study in the field of Artificial Intelligence and I plan to pursue a PhD.

0.2 I'm more research oriented. I would like to work in Academia afterward if possible.

0.3 Naturally, I prefer a quiet and solitude life style. I party sometimes though but I love quiet and nature when I think.

I still can't decide whether I should choose Saarland University or TUM for CS, since

SAARLAND U:

1.1 Saarland is reputable for research in CS, they have got research institutes Max Planck and DFKI (for A.I.).

1.2They have gotten more research funding 3:1 compared to TUM.

1.3 Cost of living is definitely lower and more friendly to students.

1.4 According to DAAD site, CHE ranks Saarland U as better an overall experience than TUM for CS with the score: 1.3 for Saarland and 1.7 for TUM (lower score is better here). https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studiena...type=1&d=4

TUM:

2.1 On the other hand TUM is more reputable internationally. In this regard, would it give me a foundation for more choices of where I pursue my PhD including grants wise?

2.2 Beautiful city

2.3 As said I normally prefer a quiet study-life. But if TUM is actually better in term of contents and experience, I would not mind.

If you could cogently persuade me in either way, I would very much appreciate it. Any additional info would be most welcome!

Thank you.