Urch Forums

UMCP Finally !!!!

markiv81

After a couple of rejects :crazy: and a lot of unknown status :mad: and infinite sighs and stressful nights :doh: I finally got into UMCP. The letter says that the Dept has accepted me.. no decision regarding aid :doh: ... so if I aint get any then back to the same square one .... The letter also says that the Grad school has to make the final decision based upon Depts recommendation .. although I know who my advisor is .... Thank God .....

Thanks a lot to all the TMians, you have always been a source of inspiration for me ... Thank you all ....

lets see where I head now ....

Wow !!!! Thanks a lot for all your wishes .... it's really amazing ....

bigredx24x, when did you hear about your admit? Have they mentioned anything about aid and about your advisor? ... what is your concentration in EE and are you a PhD student or MS?

Dirak, I apped for PhD and my field is signal processing, am an International student and they informed me about my advisor in the admission letter...

Ferrari and TTY1 my dept is EE, I was informed by normal mail, not email... I have no idea abt the CS Dept, wish u all the best and hope u'll hear good news from them soon ... all the Best...

Congrats, Markiv81!!! UMCP is indeed a great admit!!!!:tup:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the advisor mentioned in the admissions letter is merely a graduate advisor ( who would be the one you report to when you get to the university, and who would be helping you with your course selection, and your plan of study), and everyone is assigned one. Are you sure this person is your research advisor as well?? :hmm: Just a doubt..

dogmatix.... it doesnt say that she is my academic advisor or research advisor, but I was surprised to see her as she was the lady with whom I wanted to work as her research interests match mine and I am intending to join her lab .... lets see what happens

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Congrats to markiv81 and Brown......

I agree with Brown that the advisors mentioned arent just academic advisors....because my academic advisor is the same professor whom I mentioned in my SOP. Naturally my advisor is working in the field I am interested in and generally this is the case irrespective of we mentioning their name in the SOP.

I initially received the decision by email and within few days I received the admission letter by snail mail.......no aid though:(

Bye

Dikpal

Hi Brown and Dikpal,

Yes, this is true that the graduate commette of UMD-CP have decided upon the advisors based upon the student's interest, resume and statement of interest. Mostly this advisor is going to be your research advisor as well.

Have you decided upon your schools so far. If you are joining UMD-CP please let me know as I am joining there.

Best

markiV

Hi Markiv,

I've sent them an email saying that I'm accepting their offer. But I also point out that I won't be able to start the program without aid. They sent me an email saying that TA possitions are available. But "in order to be eligible for placement, international applicants must be cleared to teach or be exempted by the Maryland English Institute". Have you applied for aTA possition?

Hi Brown,

The have offered me a TA position so far and that is the reason why I am able to join them, since I do not have any personal funds to support my grad studies. If you have any teaching background, let them know about that and if the medium of instruction was english then that might help as well. In my case, as I did my masters from an US Institute and have been a TA there, so that may have helped. But still I have to attend the course offered by "Maryland English Institute", as pointed out by the offer letter. Have you spoken with your advisor regarding any probable funding?

Congrats on the TA position. Did you get it through your adviser? Your first post said you weren't getting aid! Or did you mean a fellowship? I'm so confused, because the TA section of UMD's website says that the deadline for TA application ends on the 27th of April. But then you guys already have a position. I think I must have done something wrong, or this is where my low verbal scores take effect.

I'm not getting any response from my adviser. I guess that's a bad signal.

Do you know what courses your TA positions are for? Are they in different subjects? Will a 20-hour-a-week TA position cover all your expenses?

I've been a lab conductor quite a few times, which was pretty cool. But I presented a full-blown course last semester, and that was extremely time consuming. The time I had left for research was highly diminished and so was my concentration (and that was one single course!). I don't know what TA positions are like in the states. I mean, presenting 3-4 different full-blown courses wont leave any time for studying my own courses, let alone doing research (which needs peace of mind too). As we say out here, I won't have time "to scratch my head".

Am I right about this? If so, I'd rather stick around in the research institute I'm at now and build up on my papers. With better papers I might be able to get a fellowship next year. .... that is, if I don't die in an earth quake by next year :D.

I'll be gald to know your opinion.

HI Brown,

I was informed in my admit mail that I will hear about funding later on, I was waiting for their decision and in the mean time got funding from UDel. After I accepted Udels offer, UMD sent me their offer and hence I turned down UDel. I do not know whether there is any formal process about applying for TA positions, you can do two things -

1. Try communicating with your advisor, if he/she doesnt reply to your emails try calling him/her up and have a conversation, stating your interests and your funding requirements.

2. Try communicating with the Grad program director of the Electrical Engineering Department. Ask him what is the formal procedure to apply for funding and tell him your concerns.

This might help. Dont give up so easily, you have made it all the way through admission .... so give it a shot ....

All the Best