Urch Forums

Columbia MSFE - Financial Engineering

AB2545

Hi folks - I have been following the posts quite regularly. Got an admit from Columbia. :) Wanted to find out how good is the program? Anybody else applied to Columbia or similar math finance/ financial engineering progs?

Columbia's Financial Engineering program (offered through Fu Foundation) is among the best FinEng programs in the nation. In fact, Global Derivatives ranked Columbia's MSFE at #2, right under UC-Berkeley. I personally applied for the program but got dinged... so I congratulate you as I know how difficult it is to get such an admit. I'd say Columbia's program ranks up there with Berkeley, NYU, and the likes. What other schools did you apply to? And what is your acad/gre profile?

Yousuf

Thanks for the reply. I am also quite excited about Columbia. I also applied to MIT - OR (reject), Harvard - PhD Business Econ (reject).

I have about 7yrs work ex in wall st (equity research, portfolio mgmt & prop trading), currently in UK (start up venture for the past 2 yrs). Acad - BS(EE), 3.9 gpa, 760(Q)/540(V)/4(A) - not the best of scores!

Thanks for the reply. I am also quite excited about Columbia. I also applied to MIT - OR (reject), Harvard - PhD Business Econ (reject).

I have about 7yrs work ex in wall st (equity research, portfolio mgmt & prop trading), currently in UK (start up venture for the past 2 yrs). Acad - BS(EE), 3.9 gpa, 760(Q)/540(V)/4(A) - not the best of scores!

Great profile! The amazing work experience totally makes up for the scores. I had very little work experience, and I think this was a negative factor in my application. All the best!