Urch Forums

In at Cornell, M.Eng. CS

davenbacker

Just got the acceptance email this morning:tup: A formal letter is apparently on its way via snail mail. I got awfully worried about my application when someone else posted an acceptance on monday, but apparently they're still going through applications, so best of luck to everyone who's waiting!

Now I have to choose between MCS at UIUC or MEng at Cornell... Harvard's SM program rejected me, but who needs 'em ;-)

Thanks man! Thanks also for all the great info you've been posting here.

What reasons do you have for recommending Cornell over UIUC so readily? I really like them both a lot, and I don't think I could go wrong either way... but I'd be interested in what you (and others) think, since I do have to make a choice.

Awesome admit!! Cornell CS, wow. Okay, so between Cornell and UIUC, i'd agree with gforce and say CORNELL. UIUC is an amazing school no one doubts that (I even spent 1 year there), but I think the prestige of Cornell is worth considering, in addition to its strong CS program. Gforce, what do you think?

Please tell your stats... GRE, acads, recos, research...? congrazz for the great admits...

In general (to everyone), I am new here and finding lots of difficulty in extracting useful info out of the forums... seems to be a closed community where everyone knows everyone else and talk about their admits and all without giving poor me (sob! sob!) any idea... something I'm doing wrong?

my main aim these days is to find out my chances of admission in the *top* schools..

Please tell your stats... GRE, acads, recos, research...? congrazz for the great admits...

In general (to everyone), I am new here and finding lots of difficulty in extracting useful info out of the forums... seems to be a closed community where everyone knows everyone else and talk about their admits and all without giving poor me (sob! sob!) any idea... something I'm doing wrong?

my main aim these days is to find out my chances of admission in the *top* schools..

This thread should help you get caught up with the stats of many of the current TMians. It was created exactly for that purpose. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I plan on going to Cornell in Fall 2005, for M.Eng Comp Engg but the tuition $31k, is somewhat disconcerting.....

Anyone done it? Does it lead to basically a guaranteed job at an almost $80k+ salary?

I didn't get any financial aid so will try to find some odd jobs on campus, shoveling snow, laying cat5 network, etc. etc. :p

any tips appreciated.

Stats:

gpa: 3.2 (grad from Univ of Toronto) tier 1 skule i think

gre: 540 verbal 760 quanti, 5.5 anal.

1.5 yrs work experience.

Rejected previous yr from:

Cornell M.ASc

Berkeley,

UIUC

U. Austin

Purdue

UCSD

UCLA

UCSB

Univ Michigan Ann Arbor

All the univ's told me admission very tough due to 2000+ apps, etc. etc. :yuck:

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats! I'd say it's a toss up...the two schools are very similar in terms of reputation and ranking. Try looking at what kind of courses are offered, where graduates get jobs, and what kind of stuff the professors are doing and decide from there. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
THAT'S FANTASTIC! [clap]

CONGRATS! ;)

So what was your SAT score like? :blush:

And I thought that SAT was only for Undergrads.

well davenbacker congrats for admit to Cornell & UIUC.to make it easy for u to choose which one here is a comparison of both the colleges.(max. 5 marks)

UIUC

Location 3.5

Reputation 4.5(awesome)

Job Opportunities 4

Research 4.5

Off campus Housing 3

-----------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL 19.5

Cornell

Location 5(NY)

Reputation 4.5(IVY League)

Job Opportunities 4.5(NY again)

Research 4

Off campus Housing 4

-----------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL 22

So I would say go CORNELL.(it's upto u,it's U who matters when u go to Univresity & not Vice-Versa)

Now pls. pay my consulting fees of $100(just joking,got my VISA today,so am quite happy)