Urch Forums

ECE MS: UIUC vs. CMU vs. Cornell

sherif

I can't believe it, but somehow I've managed to get into three schools I was really hoping but not expecting to get into: UIUC, CMU, and Cornell for a master's in ECE. Now, I have the desirable dilemma of choosing between them by April 15th.

While UIUC and CMU are rated considerably higher than Cornell, the fact that I'm interested in returning to industry as soon as I get my master's degree makes me think that maybe Cornell's MEng program is a better fit for my career goals. But then again, UIUC and CMU have MS programs that offer a course intensive, non-research oriented degree.

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Unfortunately, I can't visit Illinois, because I live in NYC and can't get any time off from work. I'll probably visit CMU in Pittsburgh, and I know what Cornell's campus in Ithaca is like. So basically, I'll just have to base it on what courses are available, and which school has a better reputation in computer engineering, specifically digital IC design.

Thanks for any help you can give, and good luck to anyone still waiting!

Fitst of all many many congratulations :tup:

I think UIUC's computer architecture is very strong.see this:

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/

and this

http://www.csrd.uiuc.edu/

Repute of CMU and Cornell is great,and considering Cornell's MEng. in ECE is of one year.you will return to industry earlier than UIUC. But if you wanna excel and your future job will be related to HPC , then UIUC is the best choice.

BTW what are your stats?

Thanks for your help guys.

As for my profile:

GPA: 3.79 (CompE Major GPA 3.85) from Polytechnic University, which is a tier 3 engineering school in Brooklyn, NY.

GRE: 670/790/4.5

3 years experience as a digital circuit board & firmware designer at BAE Systems CNIR, a government contractor that designs communications systems for the U.S. Army.

I am an American citizen born in the U.S. and I did not request financial aid in any of my applications, which I'm sure helped my chances considerably.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was browsing around looking for the new rankings and saw your post. Went to UIUC for CS undergrad (didn't get into cornell actually) but always wanted to work in NYC so I made my way here eventualy. I'm doing a part time msters at Columbia for MS in CS. I'd have to say that I was very disappointed in UIUC reputation out on the east coast. The bottom line is most jobs out here for CS are at banks who rely on the east coast IVY league name and factor that way too much. So cornell will really cary you well out here. However for architecture/hardware stuff, you'll probably be interviewing with companies who are more hardcore engineering, and then they will probably know UIUC. They certainly love UIUC in the midwest and in silicon valley though.

You should really visit UIUC if you are considering it though. It's greatest asset comared to CMU/Cornell is quality of life - I had a blast there, along with a program that I think is just as good if not better, but since it's not on the east coast, it's not always recognized as such.

-purpled