Urch Forums

Dinged from UT-Austin!

Anand Iyer

If anyone has applied for UT-Austin, and have not received any response till now, check your online status.

I checked mine today, and it says:

"Your application has been given careful consideration by the committee on Graduate Studies. On the basis of their recommendation, your application has been denied. If you have questions, please write directly to the Committee in your major department."

:(

Hi Anand, Dileep and Ranji,

Had you guys also applied for MS in EE? My app status still shows - 'forwarded to the graduate committee for review'. It shouldn't be long, I suppose, before my app status is updated to a 'DING'.

@ranji, sorry to hear about yours too.... so, what have you decided? USC?

@Dileep, I have sent a mail to the graduate department asking for reason... don't know if they will respond. I am almost sure that it's my GRE score (Austin generally needs high GRE, I had only 1280).

@myquest4glory, I don't think I have better things because I did not apply to enough universities this time ;).

@dirak, I applied for MS in EE. I think you still have a chance man.

@HonL, I think you still stand a chance. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

@Dileep, I have sent a mail to the graduate department asking for reason... don't know if they will respond. I am almost sure that it's my GRE score (Austin generally needs high GRE, I had only 1280).

See what reply you get. My firend got dinged for Spring 05. When asked for the reason, he got an automated reply saying his profile wasn't compelling enough. Would that help in any way!!!:doh:

Hi Anand, Dileep and Ranji,

Had you guys also applied for MS in EE? My app status still shows - 'forwarded to the graduate committee for review'. It shouldn't be long, I suppose, before my app status is updated to a 'DING'.

I had applied for a Masters in CS. I think anand applied in EE.

I think my GRE score of 1430 is still not much for UT-Austin....probably the missing AGRE is the reason of rejection.

I think they need 1450+... that should be their benchmark. Or else, you need good research experience.

Had you guys also applied for MS in EE?

Ranji is right. I applied for MS in EE.

Let me join you, Anand, Dileep and Ranji. I have been officially DINGED at UT Austin:crazy: . I found out just now by checking my application status.

Actually, I think I helped speed up the process. I had unofficially been dinged over the phone, but I just sent the grad admissions coordinator an Email saying that I was interested in pursuing my grad studies at UT Austin, blah..blah...blah....And the outcome:mad: - my app status was immediately updated to a DING.

Actually I think the GRE score cutoff has been raised to 1460+ or 1500+, 'cause I had a 1450 and fairly good acads.

Actually I think the GRE score cutoff has been raised to 1460+ or 1500+, 'cause I had a 1450 and fairly good acads.

I really don't think "big" schools like Austin have a stringent criteria on an exam like the General GRE. For instance, my GRE is 1400 (780+620) and I am through. I rather feel that they don't have a criteria for the AGRE either .... mine is below the Fall 2004 average (770).

I guess, its your whole application that matters and how well you gel into their program (...whatever that actually means .... :hmm: )

Guest WhenHarryMetSally
UT Austin seems to be sending out all the rejects after March 31. Don't know why they said - a decision on your application will be made after March 31 if the decision was to be a reject anyway. No one seems to have got an admit in April.

UT Austin seems to be sending out all the rejects after March 31. Don't know why they said - a decision on your application will be made after March 31 if the decision was to be a reject anyway. No one seems to have got an admit in April.

myquest4glory got an admit on 5th April. :)

hey all!

I got a ding frm austin too.

I dont think gre score is an issue coz i got 1510 (Q-800, V-710, Awa 6.0) and fairly good acads ( 3.88/4.0).

I think what they are looking for is substantial research/work exp( nil)

btw...i apped to MS ECE ( Comm Nets)

Neways...heres hoping for the best,

Cheers!

Piyush