Urch Forums

EE PhD: Where should I attend?

bigredx24x

Where should I attend grad school for PhD in EE?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I attend grad school for PhD in EE?

• UC-Irvine (no aid)
    • UIUC (TA)
    • UMD-CP (TA)
    • OSU (Fellowship, RA)

Yep, it is crunchtime and it's time to make a decision. I figured I would follow suit and put up a very non-scientific poll here. Where should I go?? I am pursuing a Ph.D. in Commuincations/DSP.

Accepts

------------------------

UIUC - 10 hr/wk TA position, 800/mnth

UMD-CP - 20 hr/wk TA position, 1600/mnth

OSU - 1 yr fellowship, followed by RA

UCI - no aid

Waitlists

------------------------

Stanford

UCSD

Rejects

------------------------

UCB

UTA

Notes:

------------------------

UIUC - haven't been able to speak with any profs other than one and he said he wouldn't be taking on any new grad students in the next xouple years.

UMD-CP - enjoyed their grad visit day and talked to a few profs who were doing some neat stuff. Not gauranteed an RA with any of them, but it did seem positive. Good environment.

OSU - smaller Comm/dsp department than the other two, however they seem to be more interested in me than the others and I am gauranteed an RA position.

Also, at this stage in my life I want to pursue a career in academia.

Good luck to all those who haven't yet decided.

Guest WhenHarryMetSally

The fellowship/TA is possibly for just the first year when you haven't found an advisor yet. After that you will be an RA anyway, whatever be it that you started out with. So don't be lured by the kind of aid you get, go for the department's reputation in Comm/DSP.

Yep, it is crunchtime and it's time to make a decision. I figured I would follow suit and put up a very non-scientific poll here. Where should I go?? I am pursuing a Ph.D. in Commuincations/DSP.

Accepts

------------------------

UIUC - 10 hr/wk TA position, 800/mnth

UMD-CP - 20 hr/wk TA position, 1600/mnth

OSU - 1 yr fellowship, followed by RA

UCI - no aid

Waitlists

------------------------

Stanford

UCSD

Rejects

------------------------

UCB

UTA

Notes:

------------------------

UIUC - haven't been able to speak with any profs other than one and he said he wouldn't be taking on any new grad students in the next xouple years.

UMD-CP - enjoyed their grad visit day and talked to a few profs who were doing some neat stuff. Not gauranteed an RA with any of them, but it did seem positive. Good environment.

OSU - smaller Comm/dsp department than the other two, however they seem to be more interested in me than the others and I am gauranteed an RA position.

Also, at this stage in my life I want to pursue a career in academia.

Good luck to all those who haven't yet decided.

I would have said UIUC..and maybe thats still the best place to go

although,based on these notes,I am inclined to say UMD-CP might be better!!

COngratulations!![clap] And all the very best:tup: