Urch Forums

Western Ontario MA Economics (Doctoral Stream)

econut

Just as I have decided not to do post grad studies (having rejected MA at UBC), I have received admission by Western Ontario, with almost full funding for their MA (Econ) (doctoral track)

I wanted to find out what are the opinions that TM community has on this admit? Is it worth going? The rankings of UWO is not fantastic, although in the admission guide on Econphd, it states that UWO together with UoT are comparable to the top 30 US Universities.:rolleyes:

I have reviewed the courses available and for the first semester I will be taking MAcro, Micro, Econometrics and Mathematics (which includes measure theory, topography, real analysis etc). Will it be a good move to take this offer, do well (esp in the Math course) and subsequently re-apply for a top US PhD programme?:hmm:

• Like 1

Hi Econnut,

Western is a very good school, with lots of different fields of interest. From what i've heard though, they're a very PhD focused program. Ie. They'd prefer to keep you around for the phd. Either way though, many of their MA grads go onto top US programs. London is also a very lively city and the campus is gorgeous. If you have any considerations for going into business or studying business related economics, the Richard Ivey School is at Western... one of the top business schools in Canada.

Well, think of it from an opportunity cost point of view. What would you really be losing by spending one extra year getting your MA?? If you're getting almost full funding, it's kind of difficult to turn it down.

Thanks for the correction Klimano, rather embarassing error!:yuck:

I appreciate your opinions TheBrothersKaramazov. I reviewed their courses and it does seem very PhD focused. I most certainly wouldn't mind continuing PhD at Western, but a top 20 US program gives me more security in placement subsequently I feel. Really delighted to find out that many of their MA students make it to top US programs!:tup:

Gstergia: I gave up my UBC option last week. I post it in scheng75 thread on her not continuing her PhD pursuit for now. I am considering a good job offer from my home country and my girlfriend is reluctant to move. :( Perhaps, it is also because UBC is only offering MA, I wanted a PhD program. I was on the waiting list previously and was contacted by email of my admit on Fiday. Good Luck with your UoT if you haven't heard, perhaps if we do get to Canada, we can catch up! :)

Thanks all, I will like more opinions of the University and its MA programs! Keep um' coming!

I really do not know what to suggest. It depends on your priorities; how good the job offer is, how reluctant your partner is to move from your country to Canada for one year or more, whether or not you feel you can get this admit next year or the year after etc.

If it was MSc in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at LSE with full funding then I would definitelly have said yes but now you have to consider more things. :)

Anyway, :grad: CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! :tup: and keep us posted on your decisions :D

Hi econut,

I agree with all what have been said so far about UWO. I'd only add that UWO's PhD is a very competitive and strong program. It is very well known as a good PhD in macro...as for placement, they place their graduates in top schools all around the world...for instance, they placed one of their graduates in Penn (UPenn)...as TheBrothersKaramazov said, you should seriously consider UWO's offer as a real possibility...

Good luck and keep me posted on your decision!

Spoke to my Professor yesterday about UWO offer. He mentioned that UWO used to be stronger in the 80's and early 90's and is now trying to make a come-back. They remain strong in Macro and Monetary Economics and there are some good faculty there, even the up-and-coming junior ones.:)

As for the strategy of re-applying, he mentioned that it is common to transfer, however, one must make sufficient impression within 3 months to get the professors to write recommendation letters, which really mean that you have to be the top few in the class!:grad: Not sure if I am up to that!:hmm:

Hmm... as other things I need to know?? I am really keen, but my girlfriend is equally reluctant, and I do not want a strained relationship if I go, it will surely be a distraction to my studies!:yuck:

What you prof told you is the same thing I could find out when I was applying to Canadian schools. UWO was pretty strong during the 80's/90's and now they are trying to get back all what might have been lost. Anyhow, they have hired pretty good young faculty which can give you an advantage as these guys will want to work with good students from the very beginning...