Urch Forums

Econ - HELP

princetongre

Hi All,

With some deep contemplation and a lot of advice from everybody at TM, I have decided to go to Toronto for my MA. A lot of you suggested that I defer my admission from UTexas, Austin (PhD) so that I have a fallback after Toronto (in the case that I do not get accepted anywhere else for PhD next year). Now, how does such deferment work? Does my aid package also get defered? Most importantly, is it fair that I ask Austin to defer by telling them that I am going to do an MA? I would love to hear your views.

You all have been really helpful til now.

Thanks!

Hi All,

With some deep contemplation and a lot of advice from everybody at TM, I have decided to go to Toronto for my MA. A lot of you suggested that I defer my admission from UTexas, Austin (PhD) so that I have a fallback after Toronto (in the case that I do not get accepted anywhere else for PhD next year). Now, how does such deferment work? Does my aid package also get defered? Most importantly, is it fair that I ask Austin to defer by telling them that I am going to do an MA? I would love to hear your views.

You all have been really helpful til now.

Thanks!

Hi! First, congrats on your admits and on your decision! Nice going ... :)

Second, the deferal policy varies greatly among schools. You might want to ask the officers at UT-Austin about their specific policy. Some schools do not defer admissions at all, and generally even if you succeed in reserving a place for the next year, financial aid cannot always be secured.

Comment: On the one hand, the deferal provides a safety net in case smt does not work out well for you at UoT, but on the other hand, the decline of the admit might offer a strong incentive to work your ass off at UoT, and get into a top econ phd - irreversibility implies committement!

Good choice! I'm not even sure if you have to defer since if you got without the MA you should be able to get in with the MA too! :tup:

Just in case here is my opinion for what it worth:

According to LSE first you pledge for a deferral and then a committee (sometimes with only one member)considers your pledge and which terms, if all, will be deferred. In the best case all your terms of acceptance are deferred for next year (which sometimes is not so good if you did not get funding and you want to be reconsidered for it.) In the worst case your offer is not deferred but it is still valid for this year. (i.e. you don't lose your place only by asking)

I'm sure other members will propose much better things to write, but the main idea is:

"I am afraid that I have to postpone Doctoral studies for one year. I would be more than thankful if you deffer my offer for next year." etc

again, good choice!:tup: