Urch Forums

Canadian Econ admissions...

Quas

Hi guys,

As I've decided to go to UBC (PhD Econ), I thought that some of you might like to share his/her own experience...I had the chance to go to some good-middle ranked US schools but I finally chose UBC for several reasons...it was not an easy decision but it's already done!!! So, let's discuss why you picked a canadian and not an US or UK school or anything you want to say about the subject...

Hi guys,

As I've decided to go to UBC (PhD Econ), I thought that some of you might like to share his/her own experience...I had the chance to go to some good-middle ranked US schools but I finally chose UBC for several reasons...it was not an easy decision but it's already done!!! So, let's discuss why you picked a canadian and not an US or UK school or anything you want to say about the subject...

Which US schools did you reject?

hey,

I think this is a good decision, I mean UBC is incredibly nice and in a wonderful areas of the world. You definitely won't have the weather contributing to any mid-Phd depression-blues that we hear about. I also think that for academics ranking is important, so if you want to get a job at a good US school, the best thing was to go to a place with pretty good ranking like UBC.

I've written in other threads about this, but I think going to Canada for some things is really good, I did my undergrad here and had a really good time, I would much rather be in a nice big Canadian city than somewhere in the middle of the US...

Which US schools did you reject?

Penn State

Texas A&M

ISU

My prefer US school was Penn State...

I've written in other threads about this, but I think going to Canada for some things is really good, I did my undergrad here and had a really good time, I would much rather be in a nice big Canadian city than somewhere in the middle of the US...

Actually this was one of the reasons I decided to attend to UBC..I would rather be in a nice city than in the middle of nowhere...

As for the job part, it seems that many people think of US as the only choice...When I selected schools to apply to I based my search on academic credentials (good and active faculty, course offering and how demanding they are, recent placements, rankings)...but I looked at what they have to offer in my particular field of interest...I might say that UBC as well as other canadians schools (Toronto, Queen's, UWO, Montreal) are much more demanding than and as competitive as lot of 'middle ranked' US schools...sometimes I think lot of us do not really get to know what canadian (or other non US schools) have to offer...