Urch Forums

Columbia University!

Meraj

Hey Meraj,

Did you courier your acceptance form and the $ deposit?

Sorry for hijacking your thread. :)

Ya. But it seems that CU is not that prospective in terms of average salary after MS ( according to ur post :hmm: ) and not many people who got into CU have finally decided to go there.

Hmmmm, I have to reconsider my decision :eek:

-Meraj

Ya. But it seems that CU is not that prospective in terms of average salary after MS ( according to ur post :hmm: ) and not many people who got into CU have finally decided to go there.

-Meraj

Meraj,

I am also sorry for hijacking your thread.

But I do not totally agree with your statement. The average salary after graduation should be a factor, but not the most important one. Courses offered and areas of research are, in my opinion, more important. After all, an average salary is just an average, meaning that you personally could get much more or much less, depending on your capabilities.

Mihai

@Diablo

Cause not many poeple are responding here. If you know a list of people from testmagic who have finalized to go to CU (what abt u ?) , please post here.

@mvirtosu

Thanks for your view. Bye the way, where are u heading this fall and which major?

-Meraj

@Meraj:

I am going to the U of Utah for a MS in Computer Science.

I was also admitted to the Columbia University MS program, Virginia Tech PhD (and possibly to USC MS too), but they did not offer me aid, so basically U of Utah was my only choice in the US.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Mihai

-Meraj

I think it may have more to do with how expensive the program and living costs are than with Columbia's reputation or quality as a school.

Columbia isn't my favorite choice right now becuase of the following reasons.

1) Its bang in New York, so finding a decent appartment , getting used to New york life etc could effect my grad life. I can call it a major distraction.

2) Its expensive and the campus is very small :D

3) I have heard that there are great opportunities at CU atleast in terms of job prospects...but the university I am considering also supposedly has good job prospects(SUNY SB).

Columbia isn't my favorite choice right now becuase of the following reasons.

1) Its bang in New York, so finding a decent appartment , getting used to New york life etc could effect my grad life. I can call it a major distraction.

2) Its expensive and the campus is very small :D

3) I have heard that there are great opportunities at CU atleast in terms of job prospects...but the university I am considering also supposedly has good job prospects(SUNY SB).

I think except the cost factor, all other factors are negligible. In the end, people wont ask whether u graduated from a university with big campus or small campus. And as far I remember from your some previous posts, when you applied to CU u mentioned u dont need any aid. If that is correct, cost factor is also negligibe in your case.

-Meraj

I thought I had aid at UFL- G. The confusion is clear now. No aid there. So back to square one.

@Meeraj:

The cost per credit hr at Columbia is 1000$ which is not very high.

The living expenses are high which can be managed by oncampus Jobs. Moreover, its a 1 year course, you will be earning quickly so money shouldnt be a major issue.

I thought I had aid at UFL- G. The confusion is clear now. No aid there. So back to square one.

@Meeraj:

The cost per credit hr at Columbia is 1000$ which is not very high.

The living expenses are high which can be managed by oncampus Jobs. Moreover, its a 1 year course, you will be earning quickly so money shouldnt be a major issue.

Columbia's MS is 1 year course according to their I-20. But most people finishes it in 3 semesters i.e. 16 months including 3 months summer. A 30 credit MS in Columbia will be like hell if someone tries to do it in 1 year.

Columbia's MS is 1 year course according to their I-20. But most people finishes it in 3 semesters i.e. 16 months including 3 months summer. A 30 credit MS in Columbia will be like hell if someone tries to do it in 1 year.

Agreed. 100%. Even then you get 6 month benefit. In other colleges 2 years.

Could not get u? Why do u say this?

I don't know, everyone that I met from Columbia university has that little "textbook" only smarts. People who are like not from the real world - but from a world where textbooks and campus are priority. People who don't know what it's like to work in order to live, people who have never suffered, but who have their parents pay for all and everything. Brats- that's probably the proper expression.

Like I said before, I would rather attend NYU, but if they don't accept me, then my other choices will be Pace or Fordham. It's just that I don't believe in a culture where textbooks rule and no one has had any real life problems ;)

I don't know, everyone that I met from Columbia university has that little "textbook" only smarts. People who are like not from the real world - but from a world where textbooks and campus are priority. People who don't know what it's like to work in order to live, people who have never suffered, but who have their parents pay for all and everything. Brats- that's probably the proper expression.

Like I said before, I would rather attend NYU, but if they don't accept me, then my other choices will be Pace or Fordham. It's just that I don't believe in a culture where textbooks rule and no one has had any real life problems ;)

Hi

I asked someone who studied in CU about your comments. He told me

" :) ... come and you will see."

However, NYU is a good school too. So best of luck.

-Meraj

Meraj-

I'm looking pretty seriously at Columbia as well for a different field than CS...

If the department has the people you want to work with, I would say go for it.

I don't find stormgals arguments convincing As a reason not to attend there as a grad student.- it's mostly based on the fact that she didn't like the people she met from there, not on some sort of low job placement after graduation, or poor research facilities.

When I visited Columbia, I ran into a lot of undergraduate brats- who fit that stereotype of rich little girls (especially the girls, my god, they were bratty, I agree). But the grad students didn't at all. Most I met were either funded or working in industry to get the tuition paid. Many were holding down full time positions while completing PhD's. They knew how to work for a living. Most were applying the stuff they were doing in school to the jobs they were holding- and several had even applied for and gotten their OWN grants from NIH etc. Can you imagine being able to say to your professor- "Hey I got this grant, do you want to work with me on it..." That takes a lot of dedication, hard work and determination.

Meraj-

I'm looking pretty seriously at Columbia as well for a different field than CS...

If the department has the people you want to work with, I would say go for it.

I don't find stormgals arguments convincing As a reason not to attend there as a grad student.- it's mostly based on the fact that she didn't like the people she met from there, not on some sort of low job placement after graduation, or poor research facilities.

When I visited Columbia, I ran into a lot of undergraduate brats- who fit that stereotype of rich little girls (especially the girls, my god, they were bratty, I agree). But the grad students didn't at all. Most I met were either funded or working in industry to get the tuition paid. Many were holding down full time positions while completing PhD's. They knew how to work for a living. Most were applying the stuff they were doing in school to the jobs they were holding- and several had even applied for and gotten their OWN grants from NIH etc. Can you imagine being able to say to your professor- "Hey I got this grant, do you want to work with me on it..." That takes a lot of dedication, hard work and determination.

Grad students at Columbia are highly self-motivated and have good industry contacts because of the school's location. New York attracts a lot of self-motivated go-getting achievers. The undergraduates tend to be bratty and rich, but they are also smart and go-getters themselves.