Urch Forums

Admitted at AUSTIN

umamakesh_n

hello guys i have been admitted to MS in mech at UT austin. I am very happy about the admit. But i am in a dilemma, to join MS MECH @ UTA or MS IE @ PURDUE. i dont know how ro compare these univs and where to join. i would like to know about the job prospects after MS in mech as well as IE

Congrats on the great admits umamakesh,

tough choice to make,

it comes down to things like which one is giving you more aid and which one is stronger in the actual focus you intend on working on,

and then even your geographical and climate tendencies.

Good luck

Congrats mate! UT-Austin and Purdue are great schools!

It depends on what you're interested in...if you like the coursework in Industrial Engineering, then Purdue is the only option.

But borkules is bang on target. Austin is supposed to be a party place with lots of hot bodies around (but don't expect LA or Florida kind of stuff :)).

Purdue is in the middle of corn fields and is primarily associated with research. Check out my Purdue admit thread for detailed information on life at Purdue.

Good luck!

hello guys i have been admitted to MS in mech at UT austin. I am very happy about the admit. But i am in a dilemma, to join MS MECH @ UTA or MS IE @ PURDUE. i dont know how ro compare these univs and where to join. i would like to know about the job prospects after MS in mech as well as IE

Great admits! Both of them!! Your choice depends on your budget and where you want to specialize in. Congrats!!!:tup:

Could you please post your profile and other experiences about your admission process. I look to aplply in both colleges in the same fields that you have chosen. Anything you say will be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

@Indianspur

MY PROFILE

GRE : 1340 (Was a bit low)

TOEFL : 257 (Once again low)

ACADS : CGPA 9.0/10 Topper in my dept for 8 sems BE (MANUFACTURING) from Coll of Engg Guindy, Anna Univ. (Think this got me those admit)

other than that

5 projects, 2 intl conf papers, 1 national conf and 1 journal communicated and waiting for reply.

Recos

Got stong ones which i wrote blah blah... and very strong ones from 2 Asst prof and one prof

!!! Try to get strong recos from any prof or asst prof than a ok reco from HOD or anyone u dont know personally A stron reco from Asst.prof is very much greater than a ordinary reco from a HOD!!!!!

@Indianspur

MY PROFILE

GRE : 1340 (Was a bit low)

TOEFL : 257 (Once again low)

ACADS : CGPA 9.0/10 Topper in my dept for 8 sems BE (MANUFACTURING) from Coll of Engg Guindy, Anna Univ. (Think this got me those admit)

other than that

5 projects, 2 intl conf papers, 1 national conf and 1 journal communicated and waiting for reply.

Recos

Got stong ones which i wrote blah blah... and very strong ones from 2 Asst prof and one prof

!!! Try to get strong recos from any prof or asst prof than a ok reco from HOD or anyone u dont know personally A stron reco from Asst.prof is very much greater than a ordinary reco from a HOD!!!!!

Hi! Great to meet you!!! You are actually the first person from Manufacturing that I have come across. I have done my Manufacturing Engineering from Bangalore University in BMS College. You have a great profile in my opinion. My profile:

GRE : 1430 (V-650 Q-780 A-5.5)

TOEFL : 270

ACADS : 64.5% (no CGPA here)

other than that

1project on automation and thats it...........i really didn't do too much during my Engineering.........no journals or publications...........which I guess was a bad mistake...........this also seems to be my achille's heel here.........

I have been working in a manuafcturing firm for the past three and a half years though.....

regarding recos........one from my boss and one from my direct supervisor as this is the most recent information that I can provide...........and one from my HOD....they all should be pretty strong though..........i hope so at least.......

I will be applying for the Sring 06 semester in mechanical and industrial in various colleges...........lets see how it goes........

Thanks a lot for all the help and stay in touch............you never know......i might just get admitted into the same college as you do (god-willing!)

btw...........uma???......it that a guys or a girl's name???????????:)

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats mate! UT-Austin and Purdue are great schools!

It depends on what you're interested in...if you like the coursework in Industrial Engineering, then Purdue is the only option.

But borkules is bang on target. Austin is supposed to be a party place with lots of hot bodies around (but don't expect LA or Florida kind of stuff :)).

Purdue is in the middle of corn fields and is primarily associated with research. Check out my Purdue admit thread for detailed information on life at Purdue.

Good luck!

yeah baby :tup:;)