Urch Forums

selection of college problem

haggard1583

hi everybody and i hope u will solve my problem.I have completed my engineering this june(2005).I am writing GRE on july 28th.

My problem is i ve very bad academic record (58% only) and so, do you think i ve a chance if i score well in GRE.Please help me which colleges i should select on the day of exam supposing i got 1300 in GRE based on my academic percentage.please help me by selecting some colleges for me.

If i ve to apply,when should i apply?

fall or spring.

i am also writing RHCE next month .will that help me in any way?

waiting for ur replies! bye.

hi cridamor ,i ve studied engineering from vtu (karnataka).My branch is electronics and communication engineering .our class topper got about 80% and our university topper got more than that(i dont know for sure).I think i stand at 20th or 25th place in our college.

College selections depends upon your field of interest, the scores and the acads. Introspect on wha filed you wish to study further.The acads come as next followed by scores. In your case scores play a good role but better should be your SOP and determination.

hi, ur GPA is 2.9(58/80x4)so Top 20 is out of contention.As the minimum they require is 3.00 GPA.So my advice is score good in GRE,apply in top 30-50. u'll get aid in them.

I'll choose Drexel,Arizona state,Michigan State,for you.

• 2 weeks later...

HI .i wrote GRE last week and got a score of 1250(v440,q800).DO i still have chance to get in to this colleges .i applied to this colleges after the exam.

michigan state,louisiana laffette,drexel and clemson.will i be able to get aid in these colleges.If not ,i ve a second list of them.

nevada,texas a&m kingsville,utah state.

how do u rate thesw colleges and what is the chance for me to get aid in these three.

bye.

thanks haggard for the reply.I am going to do a BS in EE in Purude-West Lafayette.

u may think that I'm doing a BS & still advisiong u,well I only suggest the universities that one should apply to(which will accept you).I have gained this knowledge from my experience of applying.The Universities req. projects,teamwork,leadership qualities,gr8 SOP,& a gr8 LOR for MS.remember GRE(& SAT & GMAT)only identifies the clusters of Universities that u can apply to & nothing else.

If u have any more querrries pls ask me.

hi .congrats on ur admit.:tup:

I also have a doubt about caluculating this GPA thing.U said i can get it by myscore*4/toppers score.As I know my toppers score ,i can caluculate my gpa.But,how are these universities going to know what my toppers score? will they have a list of all toppers scores or should we send it to them with our marksheets.Please clarify my doubt?

BYe:hmm:

You know, most universities will just ask you to provide your average the way you receive it in you country if you are a foreigner, so you would give a percentage, or your score and the scale it is on. They know that grading systems all over the world are different and usually not convertible to a 4.0 scale. I am never going to convert, but just give my average (in %, because that's how it's done here) and then they figure it out. If you give them a score on a 4.0 scale, you run the risk of having it interpreted in the wrong way.

yep all r good.u'll get easily into them.now focus on ur GRE as it would determine the aid u get.btw it's drexel,not dextrel(spelling mistake I guess,unless it's a diff. college).

thanks haggard for the reply.I am going to do a BS in EE in Purude-West Lafayette.

u may think that I'm doing a BS & still advisiong u,well I only suggest the universities that one should apply to(which will accept you).I have gained this knowledge from my experience of applying.The Universities req. projects,teamwork,leadership qualities,gr8 SOP,& a gr8 LOR for MS.remember GRE(& SAT & GMAT)only identifies the clusters of Universities that u can apply to & nothing else.

If u have any more querrries pls ask me.

I guess you mean Purdue......unless its a new university. haha just kidding:)

yes I meant Purdue(got it right this time!!!). It was a spelling mistake.Thanks for correcting me.

Haggard you can also send ur marksheets or transcripts to universities without converting them into GPA.Just wanted to add that a First Division in India is equal to 4.00 GPA in US(I had read it in a University's website;don't remeber the name now)

hi cridamour , i am thinking of sending my marks as they are like u said.i am gonna leave conversion part to them.

Bond,in which website did u see that stuff? I dont really think firstclass in India is equal to 4.0gpa because then everyone in india will have almost 5gpa or something like that.please let me know in which website u saw that stuff.thanx

hi haggard,

here's the link.The University is unknown but maybe it can be of some help.

www.ashland.edu/iss.India.html

One correction though-I didn't see the chart thoroughly(my mistake) & it's for MBA(but it won't make a difference).When I saw it more thouroughly the chart was given as an example(canbe of some help).Although it's mentioned that u can convert ur percentages into GPA with the help of WES(World Education Services).

Post Edit:-I have found a new page & read it thouroughly.It gives nice details about US,Canada & Indian Education system.It also demonstrates how to convert ur marks in GPA & the shortcomings of conversion to GPA.

http://www.imahal.com/mentor/archives/d001/q000030.htm

I sincerely hope that this link helps.

Can anyone pls suggest me something. I had applied for this Fall 2005 in the following Univs:

1)USC

2)Rice

3)Northeastern University

4)UMASS Amherst

5)URI

6)UTA

7)SUNY buffalo

8)University of Illinois Chicago

9)University of Toronto

I was rejected by all accept USC, UTA and URI without aid. My GRE was 1270(Q-750,V-520,A-4). BE - 77.5%, 10-12 were 80+, Decent Projects and 1yr exp in DSP by now. Can anyone tell me wht were the reasons of rejections. Low GRE or low acads or some other things which I missed.

Asking as I may be applying again. Pls suggest me a univ for this springs too.

Haggard u r rite....I was late in applying, just was able to touch the deadlines of most. I still strongly feel tht something really important was missing in my profile.

I request u all to pls give ur opinion and also suggest me the univs in which I can apply.

• 1 month later...