Urch Forums

Final List of Admits

siddh3sh

Hello guys. Finally got admits from all the universities I applied to, for MS in Computer Engg spring 2006.

USC

UMass Amherst

CWRU

Boston University

Polytechnic Univ

IIT Chicago

NJIT

Please advice me on selecting one. Am thinking of USC, as most of my friends told me to. What do u guys think of UMass, CWRU, Boston?

Before selecting, consider what do you want to do after you graduate - do you want to go for a PhD, or do you want to get into the industry?

From what I have heard, MS-CS in USC is not that great, although the MS-EE is a top notch course (and very difficult one too). USC may be ranked #7 by USNews, but you must be knowing that it is pretty expensive. But if a job is your preference, join USC right away - I know a guy who was offered $100000 starting salary (he did his MS in EE). Again, not to mention, be prepared to shell out about 15 lakhs (INR).

UMass Amherst may be the best school if you are looking for research kind of stuff - it has a wierd admission policy. Sometimes, the intake is as less as 2 or 3%. But above that, it is a top school. Cutting edge research going on in many areas. Pretty good jobs too! Many people have got into Intel, Google, etc.

At the end, it boils down to what your preferences are - if you want a job, and are ready to shell out money, choose USC. Otherwise, consider UMass.

Nice useful info by Anand, siddh3sh can u please give info abt ur GRE score, GPA, etc etc.. It serves a kinda Moral Booster if the scores match and gives a direction to work for people like me... SO Mr siddh3sh, do take some time and post a quick reply...