Urch Forums

H1-B to F-1 visa transfer

kaluram

Folks,

I'm currently on a H1-B, but will be attending graduate school(Stanford) in the Fall. Before that I was on a F-1 visa until Oct 2005(started working on an OPT in Jan2005 and then got a H1-B). I've read about problems that people have showing temporary intent when switching from a H1-B to a F-1. What's the easiest way to tackle this problem ? How easy is it to file for a F-1 visa in Canada or Mexico rather than your home country ? Also, I heard that it's easiest to do a change of status with USCIS, but the problem doing it here is the time it takes to get the change of status done can vary between 4-6 months and I do not want to be out of a job if my status change gets approved in a month or so. Please advice.

Some more questions, if anybody has been in this situation or knows the answers.

1. How long does it realistically take to convert from H1-B to F1 status, and hence if I need to start school on September 22nd, when should I apply?

2. Can I start school once I apply for change of status or do I have to wait to get my F1 apporoval notice?

3. Once I apply for change of status, can I continue working on my current H1-B visa? If yes, till what time?

4. Is there any premium processing for F1 visa, or not?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 years later...
Folks,

I'm currently on a H1-B, but will be attending graduate school(Stanford) in the Fall. Before that I was on a F-1 visa until Oct 2005(started working on an OPT in Jan2005 and then got a H1-B). I've read about problems that people have showing temporary intent when switching from a H1-B to a F-1. What's the easiest way to tackle this problem ? How easy is it to file for a F-1 visa in Canada or Mexico rather than your home country ? Also, I heard that it's easiest to do a change of status with USCIS, but the problem doing it here is the time it takes to get the change of status done can vary between 4-6 months and I do not want to be out of a job if my status change gets approved in a month or so. Please advice.

Some more questions, if anybody has been in this situation or knows the answers.

1. How long does it realistically take to convert from H1-B to F1 status, and hence if I need to start school on September 22nd, when should I apply?

2. Can I start school once I apply for change of status or do I have to wait to get my F1 apporoval notice?

3. Once I apply for change of status, can I continue working on my current H1-B visa? If yes, till what time?

4. Is there any premium processing for F1 visa, or not?

Thanks in advance.

Hi ,

Did you ever get an answer to your questions because I'm kinda in the same situation and I wanted to know what happened with your situation or with anyone you know that had the same situation?