Urch Forums

Fulbright Scholarship Won-Questions About Conditions, Placement etc

YAREN

Hi friends,

I have been selected as a Fulbright scholar to have a master degree in U.S. and, I do not have any idea about what the following procedures related with placement etc. are after being nominated, and what the scholarship eaxctly covers. The only information source is the fulbright's website. However, it is not informative enough and there is a long time for the informative meeting. Is there anyone who has experienced those procedures and could share those experiences? I would kindly ask for his/her guidance.

Thanks in advance! :tup:

Hi Sapient,

Thanks for your msg. I am from Turkey and as far as I know we are supposed to turn back our home country after two years if Fulbright does not approve the extension of your studies in a PhD programme. However, we are not expected to serve for that two years. At the time of my application, that is what I did know.

Do you know about the placement process and what the scholarship covers exactly?

Hey,guys!

Congratulations,Yaren.I am a senior student in economics from Bulgaria(the American university in Bulgaria) and I am very interested how you got this scholarship.I am planning to apply for Master in Economics in the USA and Canada and I am in strong need on funding.Please share your experience with me.Thanks in advance.

All the best

Nevena

AFAIK there is no placement stipulation associated with fulbright scholarship. u have to find ur way out to get job. & in the last post i meant that u cann't stay & work in USA once ur MS is completed. u have to return to ur homeland.

Hi Sapient,

I have misunderstood you, sorry for that :) Yes, you are right that after completion of the study, I have to leave because of the type of visa given to me, i.e. J-1.

As far as I learnt from the Fulbright Commision, the placement procedure is left to IIE ( Int. Inst. of Education) after we make our choices. That is what I have told today :)

Thanks for your msg.

Hey,guys!

Congratulations,Yaren.I am a senior student in economics from Bulgaria(the American university in Bulgaria) and I am very interested how you got this scholarship.I am planning to apply for Master in Economics in the USA and Canada and I am in strong need on funding.Please share your experience with me.Thanks in advance.

All the best

Nevena

Hi Nevena,

Thanks for your kind words! First of all, Fulbright offers scholarship for MS/MA degree in US not Canada. To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, there are certain prerequisities, like GPA which should be above 3.00 out of 4.00. However, this does not guarantee that you will be invited for the interview. There is a pre-selection on the basis of paper application which includes transcripts, letters of references, personal statement and essays on research objectives, social activities that you have involved and excellent command of English. After pre-selection, you are invited for the interview and then the final decision is made. The application procedure may differ from one country to another. In my country, senior students can apply before their graduation as well, since Fulbright send the scholars the next year. Pls contact with the

Fulbright Commission in your country so that you could get more healthy and detailed information.

If you have more questions, I would more than welcome to answer them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info,Yaren!As far as I understood,you are given scholarship before being accepted to a paricular university,right?This is exactly what I need.I have checked several scholarships but they all require you to be accpeted to a program before reviewing for application.On the other hand,the universities are more fond of applicants who have their sources of funding so it seems as a vicious circle:( What does the scholarship covers,if it is not a secret?I mean,does it cover tuition,or housing or textbooks or everything?

Thanks once again for your time

Wish you all the best in your future endevours

Nevena

Yaren, Congratulations! :-))

I thought the selection is in three stages. The first short list, which is based on the application and applicant's transcripts. Then another short list up on the interview. Finally, they send the list of the people who were successful in the interview to the States for world-wide fulbright competition where they make another short list which is the final list of the winners. Was it that way in your country? Was your name sent to the States? How long it took them to select you?

Thanks Footloose!

THe selection process is exactly how you describe except this: Principal and alternate candidates are determined out of the interview and they are directly sent to the USA. So, after interview there is no other selection process. Then, the ultimate aim is to find the best university which fits to the candidates profile to realize the replacement. The deadline for application was mid July in my country, and it took nearly two months to be called for the interview and after the interview it did not last more than one week to get the final result.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Yaren,

first, congratulations to your Fulbright! I hope you'll enjoy your time over here in the US.

To the others who asked questions on the scholarship: I am a Fulbrighter from Germany, and from what I have heard from a lot of fellow Fulbrighters is, that the program differs by country. So I have heard that in many nations, the scholarship lasts for two years covering all costs (living costs according to the city you are located at; tuition fees; health insurance; the flight; etc.); in other countries (e.g. Germany) the scholarship covers only 1 year of studies (and is in the process of being changed again to a lump sum); a friend from Pakistan on the other hand receives 5 years of PhD-studies including living costs in NY; then, again, a fellow Fulbrighter from the Netherlands has received only (I believe) something like $12,000 as a lump sum. ... So the best way to find out what is the case in your country is by reading the websites of your regional fulbright office.

The 2-year home-rule applies for all fulbrighters; even if you married an American, there is almost no way of getting out of it. (In fact, the only way I heard to get around it, is to work as a diplomat.) I am doing at the moment a Masters, and I am about to apply for an econ-PhD for next year. So, it is possible to shift the 2-years home-rule a bit further down the road. After the studies, you also have the possibility to do an OPT (optional practical training) in the US of up to (I believe) 1 year. After your OPT, there is however no other way than going back home for the 2 years. (I have heard that for EU-citizens, the EU is fine and it does not need to be Germany specifically... not 100% sure about that, though).

The placement is done by the IIE after you hand in your list of preferred schools. However, in our case in Germany, it was possible to apply on your own to other schools, too. Since the IIE sends out only one application, there is a chance that you get rejected (in particular if it is a very competitive program you are trying to get in), and if there are no more open deadlines for new applications, you may even lose your Fulbright-scholarship since you couldn't get placed. (I heard of a guy over a mailing-list to whom that happened!) If you also apply to another schools on your own (as I did to have a backup), we needed to let our local Fulbright-commission know about it. If you want to enter a program that costs considerably more than the school which was chosen for you, you may need to contribute to the additional costs on your own (or with another scholarship from the school).

@Yaren: where did you finally apply to?

Torsten

• 9 years later...