Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fulbright Scholarship Won-Questions About Conditions, Placement etc

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Question Fulbright Scholarship Won-Questions About Conditions, Placement etc

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi friends,

I have been selected as a Fulbright scholar to have a master degree in U.S. and, I do not have any idea about what the following procedures related with placement etc. are after being nominated, and what the scholarship eaxctly covers. The only information source is the fulbright's website. However, it is not informative enough and there is a long time for the informative meeting. Is there anyone who has experienced those procedures and could share those experiences? I would kindly ask for his/her guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Good post? Yes | No
    Which country are u from? i will need that info to shed any light on the conditions. normally one common condition is that after doing a 2 year MS, u have to return to ur home country to serve for 2 years.

btw many congrats for getting the scholarship

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi Sapient,

Thanks for your msg. I am from Turkey and as far as I know we are supposed to turn back our home country after two years if Fulbright does not approve the extension of your studies in a PhD programme. However, we are not expected to serve for that two years. At the time of my application, that is what I did know.

Do you know about the placement process and what the scholarship covers exactly?

Good post? Yes | No
    AFAIK there is no placement stipulation associated with fulbright scholarship. u have to find ur way out to get job. & in the last post i meant that u cann't stay & work in USA once ur MS is completed. u have to return to ur homeland.

Good post? Yes | No
    Hey,guys!
    Congratulations,Yaren.I am a senior student in economics from Bulgaria(the American university in Bulgaria) and I am very interested how you got this scholarship.I am planning to apply for Master in Economics in the USA and Canada and I am in strong need on funding.Please share your experience with me.Thanks in advance.
    All the best
    Nevena

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient
    AFAIK there is no placement stipulation associated with fulbright scholarship. u have to find ur way out to get job. & in the last post i meant that u cann't stay & work in USA once ur MS is completed. u have to return to ur homeland.
    Hi Sapient,

I have misunderstood you, sorry for that Yes, you are right that after completion of the study, I have to leave because of the type of visa given to me, i.e. J-1.

As far as I learnt from the Fulbright Commision, the placement procedure is left to IIE ( Int. Inst. of Education) after we make our choices. That is what I have told today

Thanks for your msg.

Quote Originally Posted by nevena
    Hey,guys!
    Congratulations,Yaren.I am a senior student in economics from Bulgaria(the American university in Bulgaria) and I am very interested how you got this scholarship.I am planning to apply for Master in Economics in the USA and Canada and I am in strong need on funding.Please share your experience with me.Thanks in advance.
    All the best
    Nevena
    Hi Nevena,

Thanks for your kind words! First of all, Fulbright offers scholarship for MS/MA degree in US not Canada. To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, there are certain prerequisities, like GPA which should be above 3.00 out of 4.00. However, this does not guarantee that you will be invited for the interview. There is a pre-selection on the basis of paper application which includes transcripts, letters of references, personal statement and essays on research objectives, social activities that you have involved and excellent command of English. After pre-selection, you are invited for the interview and then the final decision is made. The application procedure may differ from one country to another. In my country, senior students can apply before their graduation as well, since Fulbright send the scholars the next year. Pls contact with the
    Fulbright Commission in your country so that you could get more healthy and detailed information.

If you have more questions, I would more than welcome to answer them.

Good luck!
    Last edited by YAREN; 09-26-2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged post

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks for the info,Yaren!As far as I understood,you are given scholarship before being accepted to a paricular university,right?This is exactly what I need.I have checked several scholarships but they all require you to be accpeted to a program before reviewing for application.On the other hand,the universities are more fond of applicants who have their sources of funding so it seems as a vicious circle What does the scholarship covers,if it is not a secret?I mean,does it cover tuition,or housing or textbooks or everything?
    Thanks once again for your time
    Wish you all the best in your future endevours
    Nevena

Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi shoaibakram's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    does it cover tuition,or housing or textbooks or everything?
    it covers all of the above ! I had my interview but havn't received the final decision yet !
    Of mankind we may say in general they are fickle, hypocritical, and greedy of gain.

Good post? Yes | No
    Shoaibakram I hope everything goes well and you get the scholarship, too!!!

Good post? Yes | No
    Yaren, Congratulations! :-))

I thought the selection is in three stages. The first short list, which is based on the application and applicant's transcripts. Then another short list up on the interview. Finally, they send the list of the people who were successful in the interview to the States for world-wide fulbright competition where they make another short list which is the final list of the winners. Was it that way in your country? Was your name sent to the States? How long it took them to select you?

They Can because they think they can!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information