Urch Forums

Choose among CMU, Stanford and Berkeley!

thecandidate

Hi, I am recently accepted to the MISM program of Carnegie Mellon University.

I also applied to the Management Science and Engineering program at Stanford and to the Information Systems Management program at UC Berkeley. If everything goes well, I expect to be accepted by both programs. I must give a response to the admission offer of CMU before the application results of Stanford and Berkeley are announced. So I must select between those programs.

I studied computer science as first and business administration as second major. I made internships in IT companies. So mainly, I am concentrated on IT industry. All three programs are technology oriented, which fits my background.

Each schools have some pros and cons, let me list those:

CMU:

+ highly reputed in the IT industry, the program has a very high value in commercial rankings, attractive curriculum

- located in pittsburgh :)

Stanford:

+ It is Stanford :) , located in the silicon valley, palo alto is a beautiful place to live in

- The program is not too much related with IT, rather students can specialize in IT via electives.

Berkeley:

+ strong CS background of the school, close to the silicon valley, berkeley is as beautiful as palo alto.

- the program is not very much related with business view of management but more related with the information management (psychological and social aspects)

I will be glad for any help that makes it easier for me to decide which program to select. Thanks in advance.

Hi Ancalagon The Black,

thanks for the reply.

I definitely want to work, rather than research. I did some research as part of my undergraduate study, I wrote a paper and presented it in two conferences. After all, decided not to go further on academic side of the field.

I think you can remember my profile from another thread you replied but I add it here as well:

Major 1: Computer Science ; CGPA: 3.84/4 ; Class rank 1/50

Major 2: Business Administration ; CGPA: 3.9/4 ; Class rank: 2/150

research: wrote one paper, joined two conferences

Work exp.: 2 internships in two large international IT companies

I believe that UCB has great research opportunities, in that the field of study is too broad, so you made an excellent choice for a PhD.

Hmm, my profile is similar. My undergraduate major is business administration (rank 4/150) and post graduate diploma in computer applications (no idea about rank but should be similar)

Although I have a few publications under my belt. Also, I have a lesser GRE score (only 770 quant and 700 verbal and 6.0 writing) I need funding !!

What is you r GRE score ??? Eeven i am targetting joining CMU next year

Hi, I am recently accepted to the MISM program of Carnegie Mellon University.

I also applied to the Management Science and Engineering program at Stanford and to the Information Systems Management program at UC Berkeley. If everything goes well, I expect to be accepted by both programs. I must give a response to the admission offer of CMU before the application results of Stanford and Berkeley are announced. So I must select between those programs.

I studied computer science as first and business administration as second major. I made internships in IT companies. So mainly, I am concentrated on IT industry. All three programs are technology oriented, which fits my background.

Each schools have some pros and cons, let me list those:

CMU:

+ highly reputed in the IT industry, the program has a very high value in commercial rankings, attractive curriculum

- located in pittsburgh :)

Stanford:

+ It is Stanford :) , located in the silicon valley, palo alto is a beautiful place to live in

- The program is not too much related with IT, rather students can specialize in IT via electives.

Berkeley:

+ strong CS background of the school, close to the silicon valley, berkeley is as beautiful as palo alto.

- the program is not very much related with business view of management but more related with the information management (psychological and social aspects)

I will be glad for any help that makes it easier for me to decide which program to select. Thanks in advance.

with cmu, i made it in time for the early decision(applyin b4 1st dec) and also since u got into eller as well temme did you go for the information session that they conducted recently? its happening here in bombay tom n i donno if i shud go or not. please lemme know

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have got admit from MISM CMU with 2000$ scholarship per semester .

I am expected to confirm by 22March 08 .

However I have also applied for

1. M S & E Stanford

2. MISM UC Berkeley

3. MEng in OR & IE

DO not know what should I do now .. heard US News rates MISM CMU as Program #1 in MISM

Should I confirm MISM

Please advise

• 7 months later...
Very few like MISM in CMU as it is conducted by heinz school of public policy in association with tepper and CS department

other MISM programs are conducted generally by information school like the UC Berkeley, Syracuse OR Michigan Ann arbor

There are MISM programs alike in georgia tech and cornell as well

Very few like MISM?... Hmm. I'm not sure if you're talking about the students or employers, but I have to disagree on both counts. From a student's perspective (I graduated in Dec 2007), I have nothing but great things to say about the program or the people who administer it. MISM was intense since they basically squeeze 4 semesters of work into 3 semesters of time, but it was a tremendous experience.

Contrary to what the earlier comment implies, MISM courses are tailored to the goals of the program and are overwhelmingly taught by MISM faculty. Quite a few of the faculty do also teach classes for Tepper (business), CS and/or Public Policy, but that is a huge plus... those are top, top programs and it shows the caliber of the instruction and the multi-disciplinary focus that they have. I was impressed that in the technical courses management and strategy issues were always discussed and vice-versa. The awareness is always there that the program's focus is on both the technology AND the business/management issues.

If "few like MISM" refers to potential employers, then the writer needs to do better research. I had so many interviews and turned down so many others that it became a real challenge to balance this with my classes. I had one week mid-semester with 7-8 interviews including on-sites in California (with two different companies), Chicago and Washinton D.C. I am not touting myself here... I was about average and some students had a lot more interviews than I did. If you're not a good interviewer, don't worry, it'll become second nature.

For my own background, I was accepted to Berkeley as well, which was initially my first choice having grown up in CA. However, after visiting Berkeley and CMU, the administrators and faculty in MISM sold me. I expected a snooty private school mentality, but found the complete opposite. The administration folks are awesome. It sounds corny, but they *really* do care about helping each student and put in a ton of work to make that program as awesome as it is. With all that reputation, they are completely down to earth, friendly people. I don't want to knock on Berkeley, but I didn't get the same vibe.

After saying all of that... DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. Go visit these schools and find out for yourself. Everyone has different factors that are more or less important to them. They're all great schools, so it's hard to lose. As my old boss used to say, "this is a high-class problem". :)

P.S. -- This California boy was surprised how much Pittsburgh has going for it... I considered working there after graduating.

• 2 months later...
Very few like MISM?... Hmm. I'm not sure if you're talking about the students or employers, but I have to disagree on both counts. ....

It seems to me what StandfordDream meant was that the other programs are different from the MISM at CMU that's why he/she mentioned "business school" vs "information school".

I didn't know Georgia Tech had a MISM ???

Hi

If "few like MISM" refers to potential employers, then the writer needs to do better research. I had so many interviews and turned down so many others that it became a real challenge to balance this with my classes. I had one week mid-semester with 7-8 interviews including on-sites in California (with two different companies), Chicago and Washinton D.C. I am not touting myself here... I was about average and some students had a lot more interviews than I did. If you're not a good interviewer, don't worry, it'll become second nature.

Reduce Carbon