Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterloo vs Toronto, CS

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Waterloo vs Toronto, CS

Sponsored Ad:
    Dear Gents,

Please advice: Waterloo vs Toronto, CS - Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.

Thanks in advance !

MDK

Good post? Yes | No
    This is a very very tough dilemma, so I will quote a UofT Prof's words:
    For Undergrads, go definitely to Waterloo, but for grad studies we are the best.
    BTW, she is an AI researcher.

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks for the reply!

I am talking about Phd - will appreciate more opinions (preferably from students in the field and the same schools).

Additionally, I would like to know what people from the US think regarding these schools. Have they heard about the University of Waterloo ?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JohnSap; 04-10-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Good post? Yes | No
    Additionally, I would like to know what people from the US think regarding these schools. Have they heard about the University of Waterloo ?
    Toronto for sure. Before joining this forum, I would have also said Toronto since I, as an American, never even knew a place called Waterloo existed. In any case, Toronto seems better for AI. When I think about AI and Canada, I think of Alberta and Toronto. I don't even think about Waterloo. For example, there was a Canadian radio program/podcast on AI and for their experts, they had three professors: one from UToronto, one from UAlberta, and one from UBC. So I guess they thought Waterloo researchers weren't best for their radio program on AI (though there could be other explanations).

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Waterloo is like the IIT of India or the MIT of USA. It has the largest computer science/Math faculty in the world. The competition is extremely fierce and Waterloo produces one of the finest computer scientist in North America.
    Proof? Bill Gates visited Waterloo twice insisting students to come and take up positions @ Microsoft. Google has opened up a new software division in Waterloo technology park and RIM(black berry) is just outside Waterloo.

Google last year hired more students from University of Waterloo than any other university. University of Waterloo has the largest co-op system in the world.

Now for Graduate studies, I will recommend University of Toronto because they have more money for research. But Waterloo is equally good. I agree most Americans are not aware about Waterloo, may be they are ignorant?

But yeh, congratulations on both super admits.

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks for the replies !

I indeed have such concern that since Watrloo is not well known in the US and Europe it might be difficult after the completition to find a good placement. From this point of view, Toronto seems to be a much better option.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    In my opinion, for AI in Canada, Alberta is the best, then UBC, then Toronto. Waterloo is not good at AI. The city of Waterloo is definitely not as good as Toronto. It depends on your personality that if you like a small calm city or live big city. I would go for Toronto myself.

Good post? Yes | No
    isn't it a paradox that on one hand, companies like M$, Google etc. are allegedly recruiting the highest number of people from Waterloo than any other university and on the other hand, it's believed that Waterloo is lesser known to potential US/European employers?

c'mon, one of the 2 'facts' must be wrong! How's the master's scene in waterloo for DB [in terms of research/job]?

@JohnSap:
    Could you tell me, by what date are you required to send your acceptance (to join) to Toronto & Waterloo?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    ok US has lots of companies, i am sure you are aware of this. do you expect each and every company to be aware of waterloo? If Bill Gates comes to Waterloo and emphasizes on CS/Engg students to take up jobs @ Microsoft what more proof do you want? Just google Bill Gates @ Waterloo. BTW Bill Gates visited:
    1) MIT, Stanford, UMich, UWisonsin:Madison,Columbia and Waterloo.

Waterloo is well known in Microsoft, Google, NVIDIA, Yahoo, Facebook and basically most of silicon valley.

MDK

Good post? Yes | No
    w_guy, you are such a patriot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information