Urch Forums

Transfer from UCR to UCSD? (computer engineering)

roqerxz

hey,

I recently got admitted to UCSD as a Computer Engineer major...

I went to UCR right after High school for 2 years as a CE major (finishing up my second year this June)

and now I have to decide if I should actually transfer from UCR to UCSD ..

(I applied to CAL and LA also but I didn't get in..)

I m caught up with the program at UCR so if I stay here I probably could finish up in 2 more years but if I transfer to SD most likely I ll have to stay for a 5th year... :hmm:

I keep hearing that SD is a better school and everything but I m not really sure if i should take my chance and leave. ...

my goal is to get into GRAD school in a related major.

Does it really matter to GRAD schools if you get your BS from SD or UCR?(they are all UCs after all)

(I keep hearing that its what you do as an UNDERGRAD (research,...) and not where you go..) is that true?

Is there anyone that went thru the same situation or could at least relate to this..?

please help me decide....deadline in coming up :mad:

I m caught up with the program at UCR so if I stay here I probably could finish up in 2 more years but if I transfer to SD most likely I ll have to stay for a 5th year... :hmm:

That is something you definitely want to confirm. In any case, I would suggest talking to the the undergrad CS advisor at UCSD and/or the undegrad CS advisor at Riverside (UCR).

If your ultimate aim is working in academia, I would transfer in a heart beat since academia seems obsessed with school reputation. Even some 60+ year old professors put on the top of their homepages where they went for their BS, MS, and PhD.

Hi, I'm Steve and my company Fat Envelope Consultants offers professional support with the college admissions process.

That is true. Especially in an engineering field, the most important factors for graduate school are the grades you get and the research experience you gained (test scores are also important, but that’s another story). Would you have the opportunity to do better/more impressive research at UCSD?

Although academics and research opportunities are the probably the most important factors, there other dimensions to your decision. Which school offers more activities that meet your interest (sports, clubs, etc.)? Which location do you like better? Which school has the better social scene (in your opinion)? If you haven’t done so yet, it would be worth it to take a visit to USCD, just to get an in-person feel for the campus.