Urch Forums

Non response by University of Toronto...can I take legal action?

Ivy guy

I applied to the university of Toronto for fall 2008 and for some inexplicable reason they have not replied to me. I know my application was unsuccessful otherwise they would have informed me by now. The university confirmed in January 2008 that they received my application and all supporting documents. My email and mailing address is up to date. So here is my question: After sending transcripts, recommendations, paying 100 USD and writing a letter of intent, shouldn't someone inform me about the outcome?

This is not about sour grapes, since I got accepted at another university. But seriously can I take legal action to address this shabby treatment? If you send an application it behooves on the university to respond irrespective of the outcome of the application.

• 3 weeks later...
But, still the question remains unanswered. Can one sue universities for such treatment ? I remember, I applied to Florida State for freshman admisssion, and I never heard about it. No confirmation until I called them to confirm that they have received my application material, but never showed up in their database. I didnt care much as I got a better college in my hometown. But the fact is that the universities charge for application services and should be liable for delays or ignorance. Is there a legal stand on this ?

Is there a legal stand on this ?
Maybe small claims court :) But the airfare alone would make it a worthless endeavor. And if you lost, you may have to pay court fees. However, if the same university did this to a lot of people, then a class action suit could be worthwhile (at least for the attorneys :) ) .

Having worked in a graduate admissions office, a number of things could have delayed your response. 1. The mail system could have delayed your letter. 2. The address supplied was incorrect. 3. There could be a huge backlog in sending the letters (having been one of the grunts stuffing envelopes for hours on end at my school, I can tell you that there is still a human licking those envelopes.) 4. Your department's decision wasn't properly entered into the system therefore delaying any automated action/letter.

I recommend that at the very least that you contact your department and inquire about the delay. A lawsuit is not sensible as the $100 was for processing the application.