PDA

View Full Version : Please rate the issue :Students should be required to take courses outside their fiel

spelter
02-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Hello all,

I have just one week left for my GRE and the AWA section is daunting me.Below is my second attempt at writing an essay ,so please rate it and give your suggestions so that I can improve.

Thanks in advance

Students should not be required to take courses outside their field of study

The overall content of curriculum in schools and colleges has been a point of major debate among various people.The author of the statement advocates the exclusion of courses from study that are not germane to a student's field.Although ,inclusion of supplementary courses can sometimes encumber a student in an already busy academic schedule,I tend to believe that the factors in favor of inclusion of the course clearly outnumber those against it.

First and foremost ,the cardinal objective of such courses is to introduce the students to a new field which can be a nice diversion from the same type of knowledge they have been acquiring for most of part of their life.Courses such as these can help students analyse certain problems better by extrapolating valuable information from subjects other than those from their field.There are certain principles which from the basis of certain subjects but can be applied without any modification to other fields as well.

Quite often ,one course of study overlaps the other as acquaintance to a subject not directly related to a students field becomes a prerequisite in solving some of the most knotty problems of his area.A personal experience comes immediately to my mind in support of this point.I was involved in a project to design an Electrocardiograph machine for recording the Electrocardiograph of a patient.Thought from an engineering point of view ,it was a simply a problem of signal processing that required me to apply engineering principles but as I realised over time,it became imperative for me to understand the basic biological principles involved which were not a part of my engineering curriculum.Hence ,if biology was introduced to me at college,it would have been certainly helpful in solving a problem in my field.

Study of other subjects is quite vital from a national and cultural perspective as well. Study of history ,for instance, might seem futile at first to an engineering student, but introducing the youth of a nation to the glorious achievements of its freedom fighters for example ,is necessary to inculcate a sense of national pride and respect among the current generation. The students also need to be made cognizant of the richness of culture and diversity their country posseses.

An alternative area of study can also be a source of stress buster to the students.By dint of courses on sport ,painting ,etc they get an opportunity to pursue their interests and spend time on other leisure activities which can be certainly helpful in effacing tedium and stress.

The overall development of personality of an individual is also aided when a student is introduced to different fields.For example, study of sciences can aid a student of arts in comprehending the nature phenomenons better.On the flip ,study of arts can help an engineering student to fathom the aesthetics and admire it.

While keeping the aforementioned points , one still needs to be mindful of the fact that inclusion of such courses implies a commensurate increase in expenditure on resources as well.In sum, the factors in support of inclusion of these courses are a clear indicator that supplementary courses outside the field of study of students help them in more ways than one and hence they should be required to undertake such courses outisde thier field of study.

Goldust
02-23-2009, 05:20 AM
Don't worry, you will receive a great score in the AWA if you write such essays. You need to keep a few points in mind though:

1) Your first two paragraphs look a bit forced. It's almost as if you want to show off your vocabulary. Try keeping your vocabulary simple. The GRE AWA tests your development of ideas, vocabulary only plays a minor role.

2) You should acknowledge the opposing viewpoint. Explain why it might be valid, and why you don't believe it is persuasive enough.

3) Use your conclusion to sum up. Don't introduce new points, like the one about increase in expenditures. I suggest that you use the conclusion to summarize the crux of each of your arguments, and then reiterate your stance.

spelter
02-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks a ton goldust.I think each one of the point you made are valid ,I was also initially skeptic about flaunting my vocab, would now focus more on the organisation.Also,your comment regarding the conclusion is quite valid.

Will post a couple of issues more in the next few days.Looking forward for your comments on those as well

Thanks Again