PDA

View Full Version : CS or CE?

ochre_12
06-17-2006, 03:43 PM
thanx to TMians ,i have shortlisted a few univs..Syracuse one of them..
But i have a doubt..
It offers MS in ECE n CS..both these courses r under the Electrical n Computer dept...Had browsed thro the interests of the faculty..but i am not able to find out if they teach for the CS or ECE students..

Here's wat one of the faculty's profile said:

Mr.xyz...
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Address: 3-125 Center for Science & Technology
Phone: (315)-443-4457
Biography
Ph.D. Purdue University, 1993
Research
Operating Systems, Distributed Systems, Computer Networking , Computer Security, System Assurance.

I am interested in Networking n security ..but how i do find out which course it comes under? MS in computer science or computer engineering?

thnx

luvmickey18
06-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Yea syracuse has an EECS dept, but CS courses are offered....if u go and check the courses u would find all the CS courses available.....its just that it has got combined depts

u have to take up networks and security courses....that forms ur MS in CS with specialization in networks and security.

ochre_12
06-18-2006, 05:35 AM
thanx mickey..
is it da same wid other colls as well?does networkin n security come under CS?

thanx mickey..

is it da same wid other colls as well?

luvmickey18
06-18-2006, 05:05 PM
See when u say specialization means u take up more courses of that field...it mainly comes under CS

But if the college itself is offerin MS in a particular field, for eg CMU offers MS specially in secuity...i guess its called MSISTM....jus chk it out. That way even syr provides for information management thats MS in IM.... u will have to check the univs websites for all the details....cuz it varies from one univ to another.

NJIT
06-20-2006, 08:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_engineering

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science

I feel these are the best links that my one of my friend gave me to clear my doubts on CS n CE.Though your query is marginally related to these links please have a look i feel atleast few of your doubts will be cleared.

luvmickey18
06-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Hey thats great NJIT,

I think now ochre can get a clear picture about it.

ochre_12
06-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Hey thats great NJIT,

I think now ochre can get a clear picture about it.

thanx mickey n NJIT