PDA

View Full Version : Toefl score - 290/5.5 - November 7th, 2003

vasu2003
11-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi folks,

I got my TOEFL scores yday, Its 290/300 and 5.5 on the essay. [bounce]

Listening: 29
Structure/Writing: 28 (Actually the range was 13-30, but the 5.5 in essay is the reason for 28).
Reading: 30

I m not a valuable resource when it comes to preparation material coz I didnt use anything other Powerprep. I also browsed thro' TM forums to see samples of essay topics.

Toefl is a very easy test if you have been staying in the US for quite some time. I thought of getting a waiver, but since I have not been working/studying in the US .. I needed to take it. I did both the practice tests from Powerprep. That gave a fair idea about listening, reading and structure. If you watch English movies or watch sitcoms on tv, thats good enough for listening. But if you r not into tv/movies, its good to practice some tapes for listening inorder to know the slang. For structure, basic grammar knowledge is sufficient.

Reading and Writing seemed easier to me coz I had just taken GMAT 10 days before Toefl.

I have my GRE on Dec 4th, hope I do ok with that one. Studying some 4800 words is just killing me [:(!] I like GMAT & TOEFL better !

All the Best on your tests !!

Thanks TM for your valuable forum on GRE & Toefl.

Bye,
Vasu.

prglen
11-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi Vasu

Let me congratulate on your success .
I have exam in this week . I think there are two different powerprep versions are available . One is with 6 practice tests (power perp kit , 2nd edition) ,other is free downloadle which contains 2 practice tests. I also received powerprep CD from Toefl.org .
Pl Let me know which one you practiced .
Can you tell me what was your essay if you donot mind.
I am in US for 3 years, I donot know how its going to help me in TOEFL . I watch friends , and other sitcoms almost everyday.
Hope hearing from you soon.

Thanks man
Prglen

Originally posted by vasu2003

Hi folks,

I got my TOEFL scores yday, Its 290/300 and 5.5 on the essay. [bounce]

Listening: 29
Structure/Writing: 28 (Actually the range was 13-30, but the 5.5 in essay is the reason for 28).
Reading: 30

I m not a valuable resource when it comes to preparation material coz I didnt use anything other Powerprep. I also browsed thro' TM forums to see samples of essay topics.

Toefl is a very easy test if you have been staying in the US for quite some time. I thought of getting a waiver, but since I have not been working/studying in the US .. I needed to take it. I did both the practice tests from Powerprep. That gave a fair idea about listening, reading and structure. If you watch English movies or watch sitcoms on tv, thats good enough for listening. But if you r not into tv/movies, its good to practice some tapes for listening inorder to know the slang. For structure, basic grammar knowledge is sufficient.

Reading and Writing seemed easier to me coz I had just taken GMAT 10 days before Toefl.

I have my GRE on Dec 4th, hope I do ok with that one. Studying some 4800 words is just killing me [:(!] I like GMAT & TOEFL better !

All the Best on your tests !!

Thanks TM for your valuable forum on GRE & Toefl.

Bye,
Vasu.

irumbu
11-24-2003, 11:11 PM
CONGRATS- VASU:), ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR GRE

sunxcat
11-25-2003, 12:16 AM
very good score !! congrats :) !
and all the best for your GRE !! prepare well dude !

cheerz !

vasu2003
11-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks all of you.

prglen, I did the free download version from Toefl.org. Just try those tests and see where you stand.

My essay was "You are going abroad on a one year long trip, if you were allowed to take one extra item other than your personal belongings(clothing etc), what would it be and why ?"

If you r worried about essay, type one or two sample essays and see what other TM members or Erin's feedback is.

I followed the following template for the essay,

As soon as you see the essay, jot down some points (2-3) on your scrap paper. Type the introduction and conclusion first because there's not much thinking required and you dont have to rush at the end.

Para 1: State the question and just give your answer - dont explain anything here.
Para 2: Give your first reasoning - explain (4-5 lines).
Para 3: Give your second reasoning - explain (4-5 lines).
Para 4: If there is an alternative or a view that will contradict your idea, state that and say why you didnt choose that alternative.
Para 5: Conclude by summarising what you wrote in paras 2 & 3. Try to show that you are very strong about your choice/view.

If you follow this template, its very easy to fill those paras. When you break it down, you actually only need 2 points to write your essay. Make those points strong. Bingo .. done !

All the Best,
Vasu.

kotenok
11-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Hello everybody!

What can I do if I don't know what to write about the statement on the real exam?You know, some statements are very confusing sometime and also you feel very nervous and it is very difficult to focus on something.
Could somebody give me some advices?PLZ.