Urch Forums

Use humor in admissions essay?

ahunter50

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the question, but there are obviously some things you cannot try to be funny about such as failing your SATs 3 times, being expelled from school, and the like.

You can try to use humor wisely, and after you've written your essay; give it to someone to look at.

Edited by Erin
Removed spammy link.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd suggest using humor in the college admissions essay only if you write humor naturally. In my experience, humor in admissions essays works best when students are able to be a little self-deprecating. Example: "I was a four-foot-five, had never lifted a weight, and was barely able to walk from the library to the lunchroom without tripping myself. Nevertheless, I forged forward in trying out for the varsity football team."

Humor is all about pacing and pacing if often difficult to get perfect. An essay that uses humor should use it sparingly (unless you plan to be a comedian and have perfected your routine). Have a trusted reader take a look at your work before you send it off. If the pacing isn't perfect, sarcasm can come across the wrong way.

Be cautious. But don't be afraid to make a little fun of yourself in the process. Admissions officers admire a sense of humor and they also admire some humility.

Hope this helps!

Moderator edit: The link in your thread was removed. Please understand that we work very quickly to evaluate the content that our members post and need to make quick decisions based on limited information. As a rule, we generally delete almost all links posted by relatively new members (for example, those with fewer than 50 posts or who have been members for shorter than a month or so), unless those links point to generally recognized authorities or websites, such as Harvard University, the official GMAT website, etc. To learn more, please read the forum rules that you agreed to when you joined our forum. (And yes, we realize that most people don't read them. But they're important nonetheless.)

If you have any questions at all, please ask us in the feedback forum. :)

Erin

Edited by Erin
Hormel mystery meat removed