Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Applying with Bachelor's degree

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Applying with Bachelor's degree

Sponsored Ad:
    Hey everyone,

I am currently in my BSc in International Business, a prestigious undergraduate business degree at the Rotterdam School of Management. I am however, not satisfied with my program, too professional and not very academic, so I've taken courses in Math and Economics on the side. My current average is 9/10 (with 8.5 being considered a 4.0 GPA according to the Dutch system).

Still, I am looking for something else, and was thinking of applying as a freshman at either a good economics school in the UK (UCL, LSE, Warwick, Oxbridge) or a good university in the US (Harvard, Columbia etc) as a freshman.

Do you think this is 1) feasible, 2) wise and furthermore, should I wait until I get my BSc or just apply after my second year (the program is 3 years like most european ones), since I changed my mind just after the 2011 application deadline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I feel like this decision will be extremely important to my future

Thanks

Assumption Investigator

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    I misread your post, so let me change the response:

I am currently in my BSc in International Business, a prestigious undergraduate business degree at the Rotterdam School of Management
    This is a good degree!
    I am however, not satisfied with my program, too professional and not very academic, so I've taken courses in Math and Economics on the side. My current average is 9/10 (with 8.5 being considered a 4.0 GPA according to the Dutch system).
    This is a great move.
    Still, I am looking for something else, and was thinking of applying as a freshman at either a good economics school in the UK (UCL, LSE, Warwick, Oxbridge) or a good university in the US (Harvard, Columbia etc) as a freshman.

At this point it becomes about your end-goals?

You mentioned academic; are you interested in doing Ph.D. in economics/accounting/finance/marketing etc? or are you more interested in being an accountant/finance guy?
    Last edited by rsaylors; 10-25-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: To un-earn the down-vote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re:Applying with Bachelor's degree

In deciding what profession you want to pursue, first you should know what you want to be in the future, what things you always would have passion with and you will never think to quit even under times of difficulties comes your way. You can undergo some career evaluation and skills assessment to help you decide.

imi-luzern.com

Assumption Investigator

Good post? Yes | No
    ^spam do NOT click^
    Quote Originally Posted by Indus
    Till you feel reasonably enthusiastic about the research area. It is entirely possibel to do a bad PhD at a great program. If you are not motivated by the research area, you would have a hard time finishing a PhD.
    You can find a list of accredited programs:here Do NOT choose a "program" or "format" as these features are quite buggy. 24% don't list GMAT

Good post? Yes | No
    I would recommend this for your admission if you're not satisfied with your current ones.
    http://www.ivyresearch.com/
    Hope this helps!

Good post? Yes | No

Apply with A Bachelors Degree

Many US programs have something called a "second degree." This allows students that already have a bachelors degree the chance to obtain a second one, normally in half the time. However, since your GPA is great and comes from a top notch research institution, wouldn't it be easier to just apply for a masters in another area. This will also make you more marketable to employers in the future.

Hope this helps,
    http:The Competitive Edge - Admissions Advice Online

Good post? Yes | No
    We are Academic Advisors to U.S. and International students seeking University admissions and career advice. We link students with accomplished professionals who have advanced or terminal degrees, and years of industry experience, who can advise students on University choices based on their career ambitions, the application and admissions process, and provide a holistic approach to advising students on their future academic career

www.gradtree.com

Moreover also look and join at the discussion forum here http://www.gradtree.com/forum/register.php

Good post? Yes | No
    We are Academic Advisors to U.S. and International students seeking University admissions and career advice. We link students with accomplished professionals who have advanced or terminal degrees, and years of industry experience, who can advise students on University choices based on their career ambitions, the application and admissions process, and provide a holistic approach to advising students on their future academic career

www.gradtree.com

Moreover also look and join at the discussion forum here http://www.gradtree.com/forum/register.php

Good post? Yes | No
    The second bachelors can help if you later want to do graduate study in a different field. Math is often considered unrelated to bschool so you may still need extra math coursework if you wish to study later. Math works well with econ though especially for econometrics. Depends on your end goals; either can start getting work experience with first degree if possible or continue studies if that is more rewarding. Good luck deciding.

Good post? Yes | No
    Yes, you can apply here with the degree of bachelor .

Thread Information