Urch Forums

retake SAT for transfer?

bruno

Although, things might be different because you are transferring from a foreign country - most U.S. colleges do not require transfers to submit the SAT if they have a minimum number of credits.

And no, it does not matter whether you take the SAT now or the year you plan on transferring (and that's if you even have to take the SAT), because no matter what, you will be taking the "New SAT" (there are many posts in the SAT discussion forum which highlight the differences!).

Are you applying from a Canadian community college or one of the major Canadian Universities?

P.S. Watch Out! Not all American colleges accept transfer students.

Good Luck in your journey to get into one of the many American colleges

thanks so much babypurin:)

I'll be transferring from a university for sure(Memorial univ./Univ of Manitoba/Acadia/McMaster depending on the residence available),but I'd like to know if an undergrad transfer really makes much sense at all,as I think only your graduate school counts,and as it is,looking for financial aid while applying for the transfer can spell trouble as I've heard that fin. aid is not only next to impossible in a transfer,but it also weighs down your profile to some extent,will it?Also, atleast no Ivy League univ will give scholarships of any sort that easily,and neither do I think I'm that super-smart either.

Should I really go ahead and try for the transfer,or just stay happy with the univ I will be in?(I'll be getting aid there).I'm not sure of anything right now,and I was apprehensive for the transfer only because I'm also the average kid who'd love an ivy league degree anyday over that of a small Canadian univ as I feel that would open more opportunities for me and easen the job application process too.

What should I do?

thanks so much babypurin:)

I'll be transferring from a university for sure(Memorial univ./Univ of Manitoba/Acadia/McMaster depending on the residence available),but I'd like to know if an undergrad transfer really makes much sense at all,as I think only your graduate school counts,and as it is,looking for financial aid while applying for the transfer can spell trouble as I've heard that fin. aid is not only next to impossible in a transfer,but it also weighs down your profile to some extent,will it?Also, atleast no Ivy League univ will give scholarships of any sort that easily,and neither do I think I'm that super-smart either.

Should I really go ahead and try for the transfer,or just stay happy with the univ I will be in?(I'll be getting aid there).I'm not sure of anything right now,and I was apprehensive for the transfer only because I'm also the average kid who'd love an ivy league degree anyday over that of a small Canadian univ as I feel that would open more opportunities for me and easen the job application process too.

What should I do?

Because most colleges aren't need-blind (including ivies) for international students, and since very students actually successfully are admitted as a transfer student, this might spell disaster. Have you tried one of the many other prestigious U.S. colleges - including "public ivies" which on average are much cheaper than private Universities. Just to note, IVY league schools only give need-based scholarships (which you are unlikely to get since you are Foreign); not merit ones because if you get accepted to one, you are likely to have some top stats.

Ivies are not always a ticket to a good job, unless you are able to "sell" yourself well and open up you will not always find the job of your dreams, and even think about if the ivy league has the major you want.

What about the other excellent Canadian Universities (McGill, University of Toronto), they seem to offer pretty much every major in the book - although not ivy league quality, but still excellent.

If you want to study in the U.S. don't limit your self to the ivys (which sometimes only have a 4% transfer acceptance rate!!), there are plenty of other great colleges in the U.S. - and even if you don't make it undergrad to the U.S., you could always try the oh-so-important Graduate School at one of our many fantastic colleges.

• Like 1

I guess you're right,I'll focus on building up a great profile now for my grad admn.because my chances of a good transfer really do seem slim now,and hopefully,I'll get to do my grad from an Ivy.:grad:

thanks so much for all your kind help.

I guess you're right,I'll focus on building up a great profile now for my grad admn.because my chances of a good transfer really do seem slim now,and hopefully,I'll get to do my grad from an Ivy.:grad:

thanks so much for all your kind help.

Yes, your employer will be much more impressed with an Ivy league graduate student than a student who went to an ivy league for undergrad and did not pursue a higher degree.