Urch Forums

Some Questions About Going Back to College

Playscape

I graduated from high school in 2008, and went to a community college for a year, taking four courses in general subject areas. However, after that year, I stopped going due to some issues with time management and academic honesty. I am now thinking about going back to school to pursue a degree in culinary arts, but I had some questions.

Since I was homeschooled, I never took the SAT or ACT. Are those absolutely essential for admission into universities and is there an age limit as to who can take them? (I'm 26.)

Also, my grades for the four courses I took are B+, B, C+ and F, with a GPA of 2.86. Would you advise going back to community college for another year to raise my GPA before applying to a four-year school?

Finally, where can I find an online guide to studying for the SAT or ACT? Like somewhere that has sample questions and answers?

Thank you.

• 6 months later...

If you are still paying attention, I will take a second to answer.

I went to an undergrad that had a lot of non-traditional students. I took a few years off myself.

I doubt that you would need the ACT/SAT, but this depends on where you want to go. Most colleges have placement tests of some sort that can help you get into the right classes and replace ACT/SAT scores. The academic honest issue is probably your biggest hurdle to overcome.

If you are aiming for a lower ranked state school, you may not have to do any community college. But if you want to get in to a college that is selective at all, you will likely need to increase your grades.

Your best bet is probably to identify a program or two near you and contact them directly.

Here is a link to a program from an open enrollment school that is relatively cheap. But I honestly wouldn't move across the country for a program in culinary arts unless it was really well known. Culinary Arts | Home

You can google answers to the other questions just as well as I can. That may be a reason you didn't get a response in the first place.

• 4 years later...