Urch Forums

Please Suggest Universities with good chance of admission for my profile

Hi,

This is my profile.

GRE Score: 1310 ( 790 Quant 91 percentile / 520 Verbal 52 percentile) 4.5 analytical

TOEFL Score: 107

Passed Out in June 2007

Plan to apply for Fall 2009

Work experience : been working since June 2007 (1.3 years), will be 2 years at the time of joining the university, as a software engineer in Bangalore.

Degree : BE( Hons) Computer Science BITS-Pilani with a CGPA of 6.27.

Assured scholarship from the university is the most important criteria for me, university is secondary.

Can you pl suggest me good universities for Masters in Computer Science in the USA. Will my work experience help me in getting a better university than I would if I had applied directly after graduation??

What is your class rank? Your GPA seems to be on the lower end compared to the other profiles I see from BITS Pilani with a GPAs above 8.0. So you may want to include some safer choices, like maybe SUNY Buffalo (which also has relatively low tuition).

Will my work experience help me in getting a better university than I would if I had applied directly after graduation??
Yes, but I don't know how much, and the importance of work experience may vary at different CS departments. I do agree with this:

As mentioned in the thread below, work experience cannot fully compensate for a lower GPA:

Please Evaluate Profile: MS CS/ Fall 09/1390/8.21/BITS Pilani

Assured scholarship from the university is the most important criteria for me, university is secondary.

As you may know, funding is very hard to come across for most MS students, especially before the first semesters. Top schools like Wisconsin-Madison and UNC at Chapel Hill do seem to fund most of their students, but those schools would be too ambitious for your profile.

BTW, some other people from BITS Pilani:

MS in CS- FALL 09/1360/CG-7.7/BITS,Pilani - help

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/computer-science-admissions/101568-evaluate-profile-ms-cs-09-a.html