Urch Forums

Graduate studies...only in my dreams??! :(

hi,

I am looking for fall10 admissions. Considering my career plan, what I currently perceive is that I would love to do research oriented jobs in the industry. However, it doesn't need to be a completely research oriented one for which a PhD is a must.

Going through a few related posts regarding MS vs. PhD issues, I think that I would better do my MS first instead of committing into PhD right now. Honestly, I haven't yet been exposed very deeply to my fields of interests or with the idea of what it actually takes to do PhD level research. Once I start my MS and find my topic of interest, if I continue to like the school, get more used to things - I think the decision of continuing with the PhD will become much easier. I guess it's very important to be 100% sure before you start your PhD. Moreover, I'm not sure whether I make a strong PhD admission candidate.

But the thing is, I necessarily need a full funding (tuition+living costs) :( Having gone through numerous posts in this site, I can't but be very (very) despaired about the graduate studies funding conditions nowadays. As I saw, even a few PhD programs are running short on money for full funding, let alone the MS ones.

Under the circumstances, what can I do? Do I necessarily have to enroll into a PhD program right now? Can it be done, somehow, that I manage full funds for MS? If PhD is the only option to go, can I stop after MS if things don't go that well along the way? So many questions popping in my head with ever decreasing rays of hope. I'm getting frustrated with all these...whether I'll be able to pursue my graduate studies or not. please let me have your suggestions in any issue you feel will be helpful to me.

::My quick profile::

Fields of interest- Security, Systems and Networking, Architecture

B.Sc. Comp. Sc & Engg. from one of the top univs in my country (a south east asian country, not India)

CGPA - 3 .97 (out of 4 .00); had been the highest among 150-200 students

high school gpa - 5. 00/5. 00

toefl - 106

gre - not taken yet; might be around 1400

research exp. - no publications yet. chances of being able to publish in "international" conferences/journals before the application deadlines also seem bleak. but again, of course I'll try my best.

lor-good lors from 2 professors (one of the dept. head) and one senior lecturer.

others-

Have had good performances in local/international programming contests

Participated in the ACM ICPC World Finals and several other regionals.

Had 100% merit based tuition waiver throughout my undergrad years.

Had governmental talent pool scholarship based on high school results.

Some experience of working as a Graduate Assistant (TA) at my

university.

Thanks a lot for reading my long post. Badly need your advices...

Hi encendio,

Maybe I don't have all the answers but at least I can share my thoughts, clearly we have two major points:

MS or PhD: you already made your research, you know the difference between them so, you made it clear above that you prefer to do a MS until you make sure that PhD is good for you or not.

Funding: it's true that full fund with MS is not common. I almost read that in evey website of the schools I'm intending to apply to, but there are some schools as (University of Florida) they offer 40% tution wavier in form of award as a marketing for their MS program.

So if your descision is based totally on fund and you will not be able to survive without aid then maybe you need to consider a PhD- with an impressive profile like yours, you can make it to some fine schools. I would suggest on you to apply for both MS and PhD and take whatever offers you aid (that's what certainy I would do)

Funding: it's true that full fund with MS is not common. I almost read that in evey website of the schools I'm intending to apply to

I assume by 'not common' you mean 'almost impossible', and for a profile like mine with no great research experience, I'll read it 'impossible' :(

So if your descision is based totally on fund and you will not be able to survive without aid then maybe you need to consider a PhD
From what I saw in a few posts, quite a few students drop out before completing their PhD (for academic issues, family issues etc). That just gives me a hint that things might just not go smooth for all, all the way. Just in case anything like that happens to me, just assuming the worst case scenario, can I stop with my MS only? Are there any restrictions that I have to continue and complete? I understand it won't be that pleasant a way to terminate, but still, how do professors take this kind of things?

with an impressive profile like yours, you can make it to some fine schools.
I wasn't very confident about it because of my lack of research experience. Could you please name a few schools so that I can get a rough idea? Or may be some range in the rankings?

Thanks Luma for all your thoughts. Looking for more advices from others. Please help...

just assuming the worst case scenario, can I stop with my MS only? Are there any restrictions that I have to continue and complete? I understand it won't be that pleasant a way to terminate, but still, how do professors take this kind of things?

Unfortunately, I don't have accurate answers, I hope one of the senior members in the forum will read your post and answer this.

Could you please name a few schools so that I can get a rough idea? Or may be some range in the rankings?

you can read on profiles at the following link (you will find many people managed to get admission without publications):

Edulix InfoBank | Reports

This is the US news ranking for computer science pick schools from top 20, 40 and 60, read about their requirements (you will find out that your profile is in a good shape):

Rankings - Computer Science - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Be well :D