Urch Forums

MSCS at UChicago vs MCIT at Penn

owego

I come from a sociology background have have almost 0 formal computer science experience, but I've been accepted into two computer science programs that don't require any prerequisites. My final goal is either a PhD in computational social science or to work as a software developer. The factors floating through my head are as follows:

1. Time to degree-

Uchicago=1 year (11 total courses)

Penn=2 years (10 total courses)

The one year nature of the Chicago program is very appealing. It would allow me to get the skills I need and get on with my life quickly. This is especially appealing if I do wind up going for a PhD. However, If I want to get a job as a software developer, I feel like the condensed program will hurt me as I won't have time for an internship or anything like that.

2. Ranking in the field-

Penn seems more highly respected in computer science, but Chicago may be up and coming.

3. Recruiting-

I don't know the answer to this one to be honest

4. Title of Degree-

Despite similar coursework, the degrees have different names. Master of Science in Computer Science seems like it would look better on a resume than Master of Computer Information Technology

5. Quality of Program-

When people mention they want a master in computer science, but don't have a background in computer science, Penn is almost always suggested. Chicago does not seem to be mentioned as often, but this could just be due to a lower profile. Also, the MCIT program has a 20% acceptance rate... while Chicago does not publish their acceptance rate, one random website I stumbled across listed it at 80%. That figure could be completely gibberish, but all around I have reason to doubt the quality of Chicago's program.

6. Opportunity Cost-

Costs of the program are pretty much the same. However since the Chicago program is a year shorter, it has a lower opportunity cost.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I'm leaning towards, Chicago since it is only one year and that is probably better if my end goal is computational social science.