Urch Forums

Can anyone suggest me some good universities for Machine Learning?

Besides CMU, Stanford, and MIT, Georgia Tech's Intelligent Systems PhD program comes to mind.

A couple related Georgia Tech lab groups:

Georgia Institute of Technology :: News Room :: Robotics Program Energized by New RIM@ Georgia Tech

Laboratory for Interactive Artificial Intelligence at Georgia Tech

This year, Oregon State University sponsored a conference on machine learning:

ICML 2007 - The 24th Annual International Conference on Machine Learning

However, I can't find anything too impressive regarding such research at Oregon State except:

ICML 2006 Workshop on Machine Learning Algorithms for Surveillance and Event Detection

and, less impressively:

Main Page - AI Colloquium

PhpWiki - mlrg

Like Georgia Tech, UF continues to participate in the DARPA grand challenge:

Team CIMAR

Machine Intelligence Lab

You may get some more ideas here:

DARPA Grand Challenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (list of some previous participants)

DARPA Grand Challenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (list of upcoming participants)

2007 International Conference on Machine Learning (list includes committee members from top universities)

Some threads related to AI and machine learning:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/computer-science-admissions/50451-ph-d-data-mining-ai-machine-learning-programs.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/graduate-admissions/45122-cs-ph-d-ai-umich-vs-umass.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/computer-science-admissions/57539-evaluate-my-profile-suggest-some-universities.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/computer-science-admissions/66351-gatech-purdue-ms-cs.html

Certainly, CMU is the best place to be for machine learning:

Prospective Ph.D. Students

After CMU, I don't know who would be next. MIT & UT at Austin come to mind.

However, there are specialties in machine learning like NLP and computer vision, so that may be another consideration.

Also, I've been watching some videos on machine learning and some of the presenters are from CMU (no surprise), but I also saw one presenter from the University of Utah and another one from UCSD:

Utah:

UUSC Machine Learning Research Group

Ellen Riloff's NLP students

U of U School of Computing - Alumni

UCSD:

CoSMaL - Computational Statistics and Machine Learning

Some more links:

Research Areas :: Princeton Computer Science (Princeton)

Computer & Information Science / Research Overview (UPenn)

About | Research | CSE Department at the OSU (Ohio State)

editorial-board (lists universities)

• 5 years later...

Hi ,

I have recently got an admit for MSc program in Machine Learning at University College , London. I am an analytics professional and my future aim is to become a data scientist working on the realms of machine learning and data mining techniques. Now, while The UCL program no doubt is one of the best in machinelearning and UCL itself gets consistently ranked in Top 10 in the world and the courses in this program are something I am most interested in, the post study employment opportunities in UK is very stringent.

I would like to spend some time in industry utilizing my degree skills and knowledge before probably moving on to Phd if interested. I wanted to know that would it be better to choose UCL or any other data mining/ Analytics MS programs in the US. The US does not have that much restrictions on post study employment unlike UK.

Or does anybody have some inputs on the employment and visa scenario in the UK post study. Please note I am a non EU citizen.

Please advise.

Certainly, CMU is the best place to be for machine learning:

Prospective Ph.D. Students

After CMU, I don't know who would be next. MIT & UT at Austin come to mind.

However, there are specialties in machine learning like NLP and computer vision, so that may be another consideration.

Also, I've been watching some videos on machine learning and some of the presenters are from CMU (no surprise), but I also saw one presenter from the University of Utah and another one from UCSD:

Utah:

Ellen Riloff's NLP students

U of U School of Computing - Alumni

UCSD:

CoSMaL - Computational Statistics and Machine Learning

Some more links:

Research Areas :: Princeton Computer Science (Princeton)

Computer & Information Science / Research Overview (UPenn)

About | Research | CSE Department at the OSU (Ohio State)

editorial-board (lists universities)