Urch Forums

Purdue University - MS in Technology (CIT)

This is about the MS in Technology (Computer and Information Technology) at the School of Technology in Purdue West Lafayette...

Can anyone tell me whether its a good option with respect to financial aid? Its got a pretty big undergraduate department and says on its website that they offer TA with priority to incoming students.

It seems like a good program but I don't see any up-to-date information about TA and GA positions:

Graduate Assistantships : Graduate : Academics : Computer and Information Technology : Purdue University College of Technology : West Lafayette, Indiana

If you can get funding, then I would jump all over it because you can't go wrong with Purdue as a "brand name," the program looks good, and Purdue ranks well for computer science.

So, anyway, I would definitely contact them for info about their TA/GA positions since I wouldn't want to go there if I had to pay for the expensive tuition. For example, Georgia State University ranks higher than Georgia Tech for "information sytems" in USNews. So these IT degrees, which are more business oriented, are a good thing but the quality of each IT program seems more debatable compared to computer science

Exactly, its somehow, between a MIS degree and a CS degree with elements from both. I wouldn't mind applying there. I already sent an email with a request for funding details to the department head as requested.

Your point on Purdue and branding is extremely valid - also the program seems to be rather good. Err, can you post the link of US News rankings in Information Systems/MIS types etc. I couldn't find em.

Also, I reckon there should be TA's because the undergraduate department is big and running. The BCM program in the college of technology at Purdue is apparently the best in the nation.

Yes, though after your first major job, it may not matter much. Also, the IS program at Georgia State links to this article as a reason to avoid degrees that are all tech and no business:

The IT worker of 2010

The Purdue IT degree does have a focus on finance/business, so it seems good in that respect.

• 1 month later...
Ancal, so you also got through Purdue? I don't know about MS in Technology, but my friend received an offer from MS CS this time. His mail says that 97% of the graduate students receive some kind of aid. I do not know if it is specific to CS only. But I see the chances are very high that you will land up some RA in the second sem at least, noting your background.