Urch Forums

UPenn vs NYU

I am an international student and im interested in pursuing Masters in Computer Science.I was hoping if you all could help me in deciding between these two universities. The seniors may be in a better position to compare the 2 colleges. To me both universities are good.According to my calculations the break down of the two univs goes like this

total effective cost : if we consider the whole course, NYU is cheaper than UPenn by abt $12000

internship and job scene : again i think if u consider only financial companies then NYU is still btr than UPenn. At the end of the day thats wat i wana join. Even if we compare the tech biggies ,they come to both the univ for FT's

living cost : both are same and comes roughly around $800 a month (off campus )

assistantship : possibility of gettin ta's at UPenn but it doesnt come with a fee waiver.so kinda like an on-campus job

course : i like the course at both places.Also with UPenn we have the option of takin up 2-3 course from Wharton. Similarly we can take 2-3 course at Stern aswell

on-campus job : easily available at both places. But NYU has an edge here

plus another advantage of NYU is that international students can avail a student loan from Citibank at arnd 8% without a cosigner and any colateral

the only thing i believe is in favour of UPenn is the ivy league tag.But even NYU has a strong reputation.

somewher down the line i wish to do an MBA and im really confused b/w the two

I'd really apreciate it if all of you could give your inputs on this

Thanx in advance!!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

I think you did a very good analysis in favor of NYU.

plus another advantage of NYU is that international students can avail a student loan from Citibank at arnd 8% without a cosigner and any colateral
Wow!

the only thing i believe is in favour of UPenn is the ivy league tag.
And the higher USNews ranking, which is only really important if you want to go into academia at some point later in your life.

On the other hand:

I came out to visit schools, wanted to go to NYU. And when I saw that they don't have a campus, their dean is a crazy man, and their housing is twice as expensive . . . I changed my mind

http://www.threeyearsofhell.com/archive/003236.php

And, of course, if you were seeking at MBA first instead of an MS degree in CS the popular choice would be UPenn:

I know the idea of being in NYC is tempting, but you'll have plenty of time to be in New York once all the best marketing companies are chasing after you and that Penn degree...

College Discussion - View Single Post - NYU (Stern) Vs. UPenn (Wharton)

This is the first time I hear about this kind of loans. It's certainly a relief for International students. However, I won't consider such loans as a score for NYU because of the current real estates crisis and the possibility of changing the loans policy all over the country, not to mention that Citibank is one of the most affected banks by this crisis.

As I read somewhere else, NYU doesn't offer a typical MS program, the program is managed by the Math department and the courses require a very strong background in Mathematics.

NYU doesn't offer a typical MS program, the program is managed by the Math department and the courses require a very strong background in Mathematics.
But that's a good thing if you want to work for financial companies I would think, e.g. financial analysis.

Anyway, I do think this is a very good point:

For financial-related work, Columbia or NYU will open up many opportunities just by being in NYC.

Which computer science program should I choose? - College Discussion

It's easier to apply for jobs before graduating if you live in the same city.

But that's a good think if you want to work for financial companies I would think.

Indeed, that's the goal of the their Masters program. Moreover, their research is biased towards financial analysis and stock markets predicting. Having said that, their website shows a wide spectrum of research areas :S.

And another point in favor of NYU: Before I joined this forum, I didn't even know that UPenn was an Ivy school :) I only knew about Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Princeton, etc. as Ivies even though I have lived in the US my entire life. (I'm still in shock that Duke and Stanford are not Ivies.) So I think UPenn's Ivy league status is overrated. And:

ivy league education especially in engineering is overrated

Which computer science program should I choose? - College Discussion

Another vote for NYU for a finance-related focus:

If you are interested in maths and planning to pursue a career in finance or something related to finance then NYU is a place for you. Because of its location for internship and for full time mostly financial biggies like morgan stanley, barclays etc comes. I guess google is the only technical biggie that comes to NYU.

Edulix

So, in summary, I agree with this:

overall for cs, uPenn > NYU.

if u would like to do MS in CS involving some sort of maths, then NYU >> uPenn.

in above thread someone said that uPenn tuition fee is 50k. NYU's tuition fee is 45-46k so theres not much difference there.

Edulix

And, of course, as someone wanting an MBA, you would agree that focusing on the business side of CS is very important:

U.S.-based companies will keep work here that requires close contact with the business: strategy development, business process improvement and the actual application of IT to the business.

2010: The Future of Jobs and Innovation - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership

The IT Profession: 2010

when we compare the internship and full time job scenario in just the financial companies which univ is better keeping in mind the current state of the US economy??

I don't have any answers, but in case you haven't seen all of the following:

Career Services, University of Pennsylvania

I saw Google on the video :) I also saw Cisco and Microsoft.

Similarly, at NYU, Google, Microsoft, etc. also do recruiting:

http://www.nyu.edu/careerdevelopment/students/career_fairs/2007%20Fall%20Full-Time%20Job%20Fair.pdf

For financial companies though, NYU looks better with the company logos at the bottom of this page:

Center for Career Development

UPDATE: UPenn's list of financial companies that have hired international UPenn students:

Career Services, University of Pennsylvania