Urch Forums

MSCS programs that Don't Require LORs

I only know of a few:

University of Southern California (USC)

University of Central Florida (UCF)

John Hopkins University (JHU) continuing education program: MS Computer Science Admission Info - Johns Hopkins University ($2,475 per course)

UT San Antonio: http://www.utsa.edu/graduate/futurestudentsacademicPrograms/programs-allAcademicPrograms.cfm; (Though they are unranked in USNews, they do offer some MS students 100% financial aid packages with a stipend so sending LORs is a good idea if applying.)

Syracuse University: L.C. Smith - Graduate Admissions Requirements

RIT (apparently): RIT - Department of Computer Science: Admissions

Any other schools? I am just curious.

(Removed UT Dallas)

Letters of Recommendation

Q: How many letters should I get?

A: For PhD applicants three, and for MSE applicants two. You are encouraged to solicit up to five letters. We much prefer that you request that your recommenders submit their recommendations online and the application allows you to submit three letters online. Others can be mailed.

JHU Department of Computer Science

Seriously, Who is telling the truth ?

Hmmm...I don't know. It may be possible to sneak into the JHU MS program via their non-tradiational, continuing-education program:

Part-time computer science masters? - College Discussion

They do offer a number of online courses which can be taken as a non-degree seeking student.

OTOH, they may be like Columbia that requires 2 LORs for Columbia's online MSCS.

BTW, UT Austin has a similar part-time program for a master's degree (not an MS) in software engineering:

Software Engineering Application Procedure - Center for Lifelong Engineering Education - The University of Texas at Austin (requires 3 LORs)

But I don't remember seeing UT Austin offering the courses online (unlike JHU, Columbia, and Harvard).

Still, they don't seem very selective since it's just a professional degree. So the quality of the LORs may not matter as much.

From what I have seen on Edulix this year, they aren't selective at all. I remember seeing applicants finishing this season with a single admit, and guess where it was from ? JHU :)

It's easy to get into JHU. Selectivity is there when you get large no. of over-qualified students to select from. They don't.

For a top 30 progamme, 55k$ a year is just too much. You can get into so many colleges which are ranked from 30-40, can save you 15k$ to 25k$.

You'll get the smae job, same company from there too that too with same salary, for less money. That's the only thing that matters, IF it does to you.

I've seen loads of admits to JHU. Even a guy with 62% with just avg. project with avg. GRE got there. Saw it on some other site than edulix.

There are many of them.

If you have money still it's not worth it.

Even after doing MS from RIT, you can get 61-75 which is quite good.

People from USC and nearby college get 78k from microsoft.

Range there too is just the same. :)

I've seen loads of admits to JHU. Even a guy with 62% with just avg. project with avg. GRE got there. Saw it on some other site than edulix.

There are many of them.

So it's even worse than I thought :)

If you have money still it's not worth it.

I agree. USC would be a better value for that kindof money.

• 6 months later...