Urch Forums

GRE not offered in Sri Lanka

Hey guys,

Big problem. I mentioned earlier that Sri Lanka was not listed in the 08/09 test center list and that I emailed ETS inquiring about this. Since I didn't receive a helpful reply, I called them just now. Turns out it's true. GRE (general and subject) is not offered in Sri Lanka in 08/09. The representative in the ETS customer care said he was unaware of the reason behind removing Sri Lanka from the list and asked me to check back after 1st July for there might be changes.

Can anyone tell me what I should do? Should I wait till July 1st?

You can find the necessary pdfs at http://www.ets.org/gre/stupubs

Sorry to hear the bad news.

I assume the customer service person at ETS is just reading the same publication you are, without necessarily having any more information than is posted on the Internet. Therefore, you may also want to consider talking to a supervisor at ETS. I don't see how waiting will help much since these things seem to be planned way in advance. The only benefit I see in waiting is there may be a small chance that the online registration (which wil be available by August) may have more accurate data regarding test centers.

My guess is that you will need to go to another country to take the exam. How much money would that cost you to book the flight?

On the positive side, if you time it right, it could also be your honeymoon destination :) And I don't know how long it would take to get the passport/visa (assuming one is necessary to go to the country in question), so you may need to make visa/passport prepartions now just to be safe.

You may also want to consider contacting last year's test center (since there was only one, I think) and see if they can tell you anything, like maybe they can verify they are no longer participating. Or maybe you can talk them into participating again, though that is very doubtful. You may have a shot, however, if that test center was unaware they were the only test center left.

I remember reading something like that, some guy from Sri Lanka had to travel to India in order to take the Subject GRE, he said that the test was canceled after he had registered for it in Sri Lanka. But the good part of the story, he got a good score ( >820 as I remember ).

Yeah, after reading MDK's post, it looks almost hopeless for testing in Sri Lanka. Mother India is calling you :) At least, as MDK suggests, you would be taking the GRECS in November, which makes it less difficult to get a good score.

The cost of the flight looks relatively cheap:

cheapest onward ticket from india ... - Thorn Tree Travel Forum - Lonely Planet

(After brusing up on my geography, I guess Trivandrum, India is the closest testing center. Before MDK posted, I didn't even know where Sri Lanka was. I just knew it was somewhere in Asia.)

CalmLogic & MDK,

Thank you so much for your opinions. Yes, I guess I'll have to go to India to take the test. I remember one of my friends faced this same situation when he was unable to register in time for the Toefl test. So he went to India, took the test and came back the same day. Worse comes to worst, I guess that'll be my only option.

However, I'm going to the US-SriLanka Fulbright Commission today to verify this, since they administer the GRE here in Sri Lanka. I'll post their reply when I get back.

Thank you once again for your insights.

So he went to India, took the test and came back the same day.

Of course, in your case, you will hopefully stay at a hotel since the GRECS is so early in the morning (at least in the US). In the US, GRECS test takers must report to the test center at 8:30AM and the test starts around 9 AM.

Of course, in your case, you will hopefully stay at a hotel since the GRECS is so early in the morning (at least in the US). In the US, GRECS test takers must report to the test center at 8:30AM and the test starts around 9 AM.

Not only in the US, but also everywhere the test is offered. These are ETS rules.

Guys,

Good news. I contacted the Fulbright Commission in Sri Lanka. As it turns out, their confirmation of the test center to the ETS has been somehow lost. But they said that Sri Lanka won't be taken out of the examination.

So, we are back on track.

Thant's good to hear, I know how hard it's to cross borders in order to take an exam. Nothing is better than waking up in the morning and going to your domestic test center, it'll reduce the stress and the tension of the exam. Anyways, Good luck dude.

• 1 month later...