Urch Forums

May someone review my midterm essay due tomorrow. Any suggestions?

jaden1592

Hi I have an English essay due tomorrow based on The story Rape of the Locke following the prompt below. I did not finish all of it because I;m still researching and developing the paragraphs. I will be absolutley thankful by all means if someone takes the time to read my essay and offer improvements

In great literature, no scene of violence exists for its own sake. Choose a work of literature that we have studied that confronts the reader or audience with a scene or scenes of violence. In a well-organized essay, explain how the scene or scenes contribute to the meaning of the complete work. Avoid plot summary.

Midterm Rough Draft

People who sit in their own world want everything to go their way. When an occurring problem

upsets them they feel its right to cause as much harm as possible. It can be easily resolved but,

instead creates grudges often frowned upon by others. Any outside source that has seen the

violence sometimes has their perspective. They create a moral conclusion which they use to

inform directly how they feel, but this can be hard to grasp for self centered people. In order to

get past the grudges, an indirect form of writing called satire can more easily catch their

attention. The use of satire employs wit and humor to justify an answer. It intends that the lofty

people for-go the silly acts of violence and move on. In the mock epic, Rape of the Lock,

Alexander Pope satirizes a ridiculous feud, filled with unnecessary violence, between two families

in order to bring attention to how overly dramatic they were being and to bring an end to the

dispute.

Violence exists because of arguments or the purpose to prove one another wrong. The violence

from anger is the only way the overly self absorbed people can suddenly get revenge. When

Belinda leaves her estate to Hampton Court for a card game The Barron cuts off a piece of her

hair. The Author makes Belinda’s response boastful and outrageous. She said to The Barron,

“For Ever cursed be this detested day, which snatched my best, my favorite curl away! Happy! Ah

ten times happy had I been, if Hampton Court these eyes had never seen! Yet am I not the first

mistaken maid, by love of courts to numerous ills betrayed. Oh had I rather unadmired remained

in some lonely isle, or distant northern land, Where the guilt chariot never marks the way, where

none learned ombre, none e’er taste bohea!” Belinda is in distress after the lost of her favorite

piece of hair cut off by The Barron. She is embarrassed by the fact everyone in the high courts

will see she is missing a piece of hair there after, she is screaming at The Barron in an act of

revenge. After Belinda became angry she lost her mind and acted instinctively with a violent

speech to get back after what he did.

Clarissa delivers a speech in which she questions why a society adores beauty in women and does

not also place a value on good sense and good humor. She questions why beauty is so short lived

and what will we have to fall back on in the future. Belinda needs to change her lifestyle because

she will have nothing to live for after her beauty fades. Clarissa states aloud, “The pitying

audience melt in tears, but fate and jove had stopped the Barron’s ears. In vain thalestris with

reproach assails, for who can move when fair Belinda fails? Not have so fixed the Trojan could

remain.” Belinda is an airhead and could care less what someone tells her. This represents an

outside source when Clarissa is directly speaking her morally correct statement to get through to

absent minded Belinda. Belinda is carefree and believes she is self sufficient and does not need

help by others. Belinda’s qualities are built through negative impacts derived from only what she

wants. This attributes to her lofty lifestyle from high society and how they function. The society

isolates themselves from different classes. After Belinda does not listen to Clarissa’s helpful

advice she will continue to collect high society’s false image.

Talk about the outrageous battle

How the familys view the satirical version.

I”m going to talk about how a critic views the work to maybe contrast my ideas with theirs?

I”m going to write conclusion

• 3 weeks later...

One suggestion--post earlier next time. ;) A few days' notice would be good. No, I don't mean to be snarky. But one day's notice is probably not enough time; it takes a good amount of time and effort to critique an essay, at least compared with making other kinds of posts.

That said, how'd it go?