Urch Forums

Presence of two verbs in a sentence

Nousher Ahmed

This sentences have taken from CAMBRIDGEIELTS4.

"Disenchantment with orthodox medicine has seen the popularity of alternative therapies in Australia climb steadily during the past 20 years."

I think, here 'climb' is acting as a verb. Am I right? What is the subject of this verb?

"Disenchantment with orthodox medicine has seen the popularity of alternative therapies in Australia" is able to make a full sense. It is impossible for a sentence to have more than one verb. How this sentence contains two verb? Would you like to clear the meaning of this given sentence? If it is possible to you, please provide me many examples/lesson related to the structure of this sentence.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Disenchantment with orthodox medicine has seen the popularity of alternative therapies in Australia climb steadily during the past 20 years."

I think, here 'climb' is acting as a verb. Am I right? What is the subject of this verb? the subject of the verb is "the popularity of alternative therapies"

How this sentence contains two verb? of course there can be endless verb in a sentence. For example, "I saw him climb the stairs as I woke up and opened the door to..." now to is an infinitive. Put any verb after that to make the sentence longer.

And to simplify the sentence , "Australia is so tired of orthodox medicine, alternative therapies have started to increase there in the last 20 years."

susanne, we're using the term 'verb' here very loosely. (I think your questions may arise from our imprecise usage of the term 'verb' in this discussion; please correct me if I'm wrong.) Unfortunately, we don't have a set of terms that all grammarians or linguists agree to use. For example, we have finite verbs, conjugated verbs, infinitives, bare infinitives, gerunds, present participles, past participles, verbals in general, past-tense verbs, auxiliary verbs, helping verbs, future-tense verbs, modal verbs, modals, and probably a few more that I may have missed.

In this case, it's probably easiest for most learners just to memorize this particular grammar pattern.

Just my two cents, of course.

- Erin