Urch Forums

HELP!!!! Can scores get mixed up?? Screen score vs. received score

Mim

English is a foreign language for me. I took the GRE and on the day of the test the results shown on the computer screen were: Verbal 560 / Quant 420

Today, after a month, I received the written score report. The results state Verbal 470

and Quant 510. Although the combined score is the same ( 980) I do not understand why the difference in scores. Does anyone know if the results on screen are preliminary, or can these be affected somehow by other calculations??

I know my overall score is low, but I was asked for a 900 combined score, considering my foreign profile.

HELP!!!!! And thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

No, Report the matter to ETS. the scores shown on screen must be same to what you receieve as hard copy.No calculations areinvolved.It may be the case that they have reported scores of another person , co-incidentally with same name,same country and same spellings.Check about your personal details on the score card you recieved.There should be some difference.If not then this is a first time case ever heard of!!!!!

Thanks a lot. I have double checked all the information, it seems to be correct. I called ETS but "custmer service" wasn't much help. She said I could ask for a "score challenge", and when I asked what that was, she said I should write to ETS by regular mail to get that explained!

I just feel kind of unlucky, my TOEFL test results got sent to Argentina by mistake, (I live in Mexico) It was a huge deal to get in touch with them and get them to resend the scores. I guess there is not much I can do with the GRE, considering I have a deadline to meet for the scholarship I am applying for, I just feel frustrated.

Many thanks for answering!!! :)

I don't how far my experience will help but I have had something of this sort happen with my TOEFL scores. On the test-day, I saw my scores on the screen as 293/300.

(Listening: 29, Structure: 29, Reading: 30) I was ill, had a cold and was coughing all the time. However, my score-report reported my scores as: 297/300 (Listening: 29, Structure: 30, Reading: 30).This was rather a nice thing for me since the scores seemingly went up 5 points. However, I am not very sure if I saw my scores right on the test day, as I felt that I had answered all the structure questions correctly. You can see my intial testing experience here: http://www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14057

I really feel for you though. :(

Wishing you all the best for the scholarship!

Dingus

I don't how far my experience will help but I have had something of this sort happen with my TOEFL scores. On the test-day, I saw my scores on the screen as 293/300.

(Listening: 29, Structure: 29, Reading: 30) I was ill, had a cold and was coughing all the time. However, my score-report reported my scores as: 297/300 (Listening: 29, Structure: 30, Reading: 30).This was rather a nice thing for me since the scores seemingly went up 5 points. However, I am not very sure if I saw my scores right on the test day, as I felt that I had answered all the structure questions correctly. You can see my intial testing experience here: http://www.urch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14057

I really feel for you though. :(

Wishing you all the best for the scholarship!

Dingus

Lucky you are "The King".

Something quite interesting:

I got a reply from ETS (awesome! in one day!!!)

They said I am still able to view unofficial scores at the test center. Every test is routinely scored twice, once at the testing center and again when the scores are received at ETS. This might explain the difference in scores, although quite a large one I should think (from 560 to 470).

Anway, the highlight of their reply was a link they sent me to acces a service that provides feedback on the actual test you took (Verbal and Quantitative measures). This includes the types of questions, their level of difficulty, whether you answered them correctly or incorrectly, and how much time you spent on each question. Although you cannot actually see the questions, It's interesting to see your performance. and its FREE.

Check it out http://grediagnostic.ets.org

I'll keep you posted on the outcome of all this..(at least if I got my scholarship or not..) I am applying for International and Comparative Education.

:tup:

The link is not opening. Your case is a special one. What do you mean, can one see his performance in the actual test??? :hmm:If true then this is great.:)

Your post and experience are important to all future TMian. Better keep all of us informed about the latest.

Do you mean you got 560 instead of 470. Well thats a big difference.

What about you TOEFL score, sent to wrong place????

Good Luck for you scholarship hunt.:)

awhig, the link is alright. When you got your GRE scores, this website would have been specified in a separate sheet which explains the scoring. You can enter your unique registration ID - which is given on your original score sheet - right bottom corner - in the form on this website. It gives you a complete idea about where you may have gone wrong in your test. This service is valid for 6 months from the day of testing. Every test-taker can use it. There are no special cases.

I don't know if the difference is scores is a special case, at least for me it is as I have never heard of anyone getting different scores on screen / paper. I don't think it's right, or fair, since the combined score in the end is the same, it means they somehow meddle with your scores to compensate. Like in my case, on the final score, the 90 points that were subtracted from the verbal, were added to the quant. Under what basis??? :rolleyes:

:) Don't want to make this an endeless discussion, but I am sure I saw the right scores, I was allowed to write them down. I couldn't have mixed up the verb. with the q cause the end results are very different between them (560, 420) to (470, 510)

Anyway, not much I can do, except work hard, test again, and hope to get a great score!!

:p